star smuggler

Thus spake capi3101:

Now running 3.2.9-svn8828, and my test file is attached. Neither test
passed in 3.2.8, but the targeted link test passed in 3.2.9.

Your other test isn’t ever going to pass, as that’s not how the
charts work. When you follow a link, the current chart displays
the document at the URL of the link you followed. The chart has
no way of telling that there’s another chart already displaying
the target document.

BTW, my windows have been doing some wonky things lately size-wise (the
text box extends all the way down to the bottom of the screen and I have
to resize it to see the main board, have to resize the piece window in a
Game Piece Pallette so the Scrollable Menu is visible, things like
that). Any pointers on setting their dimensions directly?

There might be some sizing information stored in your preferences. Look
in VASSAL/prefs/ for that, in the place where program prefs
are stored on your system.

J.

Okay, thanks. So I guess I need to be sure and put a link back to the source page on the destination page then if I don’t want mod players to get all kinds of messed up and angry and carted off to prison in a violent rage…

Occurred to me on my walk this morning that there was one more test I needed to run: to target a link on a different HTML file. For example, E001 (an event) makes reference to several of the R2 series (rules), including R201. I want to make sure I can target R201 specifically. And while I’m at it, I’d like to target R201 via the menu as well. A couple of things to check that didn’t work in 3.2.8 there.

I am considering putting everything into one large HTML chart at this point. Depends on what happens with the menu system.

Thus spake capi3101:

Occurred to me on my walk this morning that there was one more test I
needed to run: to target a link on a different HTML file.

I tested this myself in the build for which I posted the link. It
should work.

J.

Tried out a targeted link to a different HTML this morning; it worked as you said, just leaving the aforementioned problem of the current chart displaying whatever document is at the URL followed. What did not work was trying to access a targeted link from the menu - I’ll attach a picture that shows what happens when I attempt to set it up. The mod displayed nothing when tried to access R201 directly through the menu (which is probably to be expected given the error message, right?).

Ran the first alpha playtest last night; everything’s in as far as I can tell. I did note a few things that needed to be tweaked and I’ll attend to them today. I hope to have a beta version ready for public abuse-ment sometime in the next day or two.

This game is irritating…game one, did a Contact try at the Regari spaceport, got mugged, tried to fight and got killed right off the bat. Game two, did a Contact try at the Regari spaceport, got freakin’ mugged again, twice, and then couldn’t get anywhere because the first guys got all my cash. Third game, hit the bank first, got caught up in a angry mob, got mugged again…I must be playing this thing wrong.

Good enough; here you go, pistolpete.

vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Smuggler

If you have any questions about how I’ve got things set up, lemme know.

Thanks capi3101.
Looks good . will have a lot of fun playing this .
thanks for all your hard work .will let you know if I hit any problems

hiya capi3101
been playing mod for a while now , works great , no probs up to now , once again thanks
pistolpete

Glad to hear it. Did you have any issues with the size of any of the windows? How about the number marker controls?

as stated in uckelmans remarks above text box extends all the way down to the bottom of the screen and I have
to resize it to see the main board, have to resize the piece window in a
Game Piece Pallette so the Scrollable Menu is visible.
But I don’t see that as a problem, the game works great.
Keep up the good work

Alright - so the window sizing issue is not just me then.

Found the prefs files directory; what specifically am I looking for?

Here - here’s the file. Gonna hex out my password but everything else is vanilla straight from the file:

#Sat Sep 21 23:01:21 CDT 2013
BoundsOfMynkuria\ I=150,150,0,0
Profile=
BoundsOfTalitar\ II=420,420,0,0
BoundsOfByzantium\ I=30,30,0,0
PromptNewLogEnd=true
BoundsOfUruskop=450,450,0,0
BoundsOfNipna\ I=270,270,0,0
PreferredEdgeDelay=200
BoundsOfCrewmember\ 5=870,870,0,0
BoundsOfCrewmember\ 4=840,840,0,0
BoundsOfCrewmember\ 3=810,810,0,0
BoundsOfCrewmember\ 2=780,780,0,0
BoundsOfNipna\ II=300,300,0,0
initialHeap=256
BoundsOfCrewmember\ 1=750,750,0,0
ShowCounterDetails=false
RealName=Stephen Rogers
useArrows=false
BoundsOfNew\ Karma\ II=240,240,0,0
BoundsOfAccount\ Board\ 6=690,690,0,0
movingStacksPickupUnits=false
BoundsOfAccount\ Board\ 5=660,660,0,0
BoundsOfAccount\ Board\ 4=630,630,0,0
PromptNewLogStart=false
BoundsOfAccount\ Board\ 3=600,600,0,0
BoundsOfAccount\ Board\ 2=570,570,0,0
BoundsOfCubro=90,90,0,0
BoundsOfAccount\ Board\ 1=540,540,0,0
promptLogComment=true
singleWindow=true
BoundsOfImperia=120,120,0,0
ChatFont=SansSerif,12
scrollSpeed=50
BoundsOfNew\ Karma\ I=210,210,0,0
BoundsOfRegari=360,360,0,0
BoundsOfChartWindow3=238,260,1042,724
BoundsOfSpringer=720,720,0,0
BoundsOfChartWindow0=0,390,1280,594
BoundsOfAsteroids=0,0,0,0
BoundsOfTalitar\ I=390,390,0,0
BoundsOfShip=321,288,0,0
BoundsOfByzantium\ II=60,60,0,0
BoundsOfRandom\ Planet=480,480,0,0
BoundsOfPalatek=330,330,0,0
SecretName=******************************
BoundsOfMynkuria\ II=180,180,0,0
maximumHeap=512
PreferredDelay=700

And here’s my V_Global file.

#Sun Sep 22 23:03:26 CDT 2013
Locale=en
initialHeap=256
maximumHeap=512
disableD3d=false
welcomeWizard=true
moduleManagerDividerLocation=1053
nextVersionCheck=1465922429489
BoundsOfModuleManager=0,0,1079,467
modulesDir=C\:\\Arctemp
RecentModules=C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\VASSAL\\Modules\\AlienFrontier.vmod,C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\VASSAL\\Modules\\Cosmicencounter2.1_3.2.vmod,C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\VASSAL\\Modules\\EPW-01.vmod,C\:\\VassalMods\\KCP\\KCP.vmod,C\:\\Users\\user\\Raj,E\:\\Mods\\StarSmuggler\\starsmuggler.vmod,C\:\\VassalMods\\Storm_Chaser_0-1.vmod,C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\VASSAL\\Modules\\The_Legend_of_Zelda_TBG.vmod,C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\VASSAL\\Modules\\TI3_VASSAL_v1_02SE.vmod
showServerStatus=false

I should probably mention that I’ve built six VASSAL mods so far (not counting test mods) and this is the first time I’ve had any issue with window sizing. (Six is right - four are on the wiki, one I’m using as a utility, and the last…well, I haven’t figured out how to recruit playtesters effectively, let’s put it at that).

I’ve also been able to crack open the Star Smuggler build file with 7-zip (I can only extract files, not replace them); is there anywhere I can look in there? I’ve had some prior experience with deciphering XML.

Thus spake capi3101:

[This message has been edited.]

Alright - so the window sizing issue is not just me then.

Found the prefs files directory; what specifically am I looking for?

If i remember correctly, each of those keys starting with “BoundsOf”
set the bounds for a window.

J.

Can’t tell which one refers to the Message Box. I also can’t figure out which windows ChartWindow0 and ChartWindow3 refer to; I don’t have anything with those names anywhere in the mod.

Thus spake capi3101:

Can’t tell which one refers to the Message Box.

one of these. The only one which does directly is mainWindowHeight,
which you don’t have in V_Global.

I also can’t figure out
which windows ChartWindow0 and ChartWindow3 refer to; I don’t have
anything with those names anywhere in the mod.

No, you wouldn’t have anything with those names—ChartWindowN is
something generated by VASSAL counting the charts as they’re added.

J.

Okay…and how do the coordinate sets read? Is it x-beginning, y-beginning, x-ending, y-ending?

I also need to figure out how I’m going to edit the file - like I said, my copy of 7-zip will let me extract files from a .vmod but not upload them back. Any recommendations? I assume any actual tweaks to the file could be done in something as simple as Notepad.

Thus spake capi3101:

I also need to figure out how I’m going to edit the file - like I said,
my copy of 7-zip will let me extract files from a .vmod but not upload
them back. Any recommendations? I assume any actual tweaks to the file
could be done in something as simple as Notepad.

That shouldn’t be the case unless 7-zip can’t write standard ZIP files.

J.

Hmm. It does occur to me that I haven’t really tried just dropping a file on top of a vmod before; I’ve been attempting to add files to the vmod from inside 7-zip. I might just give that a try later this morning. Will post again around 16Z today to let you know how it goes.

Actually, I think I may know what the problem is…and it’s nothing I can do anything about from my workplace. Going to be later than I hoped before I can report anything - at least 00Z, possibly later.

With the mod itself - has anybody else noticed that the name for Crewmember #2 appears to be non-functional? I haven’t yet checked to see what might be causing this, I get the given name but not the surname nor the VACANT placard at the onset of the game (I might not’ve noticed this at all had I not spent the last few games hitting the Regari Slums to look for cheap bodyguards right off the bat). Just wanted to see if anybody else had noticed.

Message from Dennis Sustare, received at BGG on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:37 am:

Sorry I didn’t answer sooner, Stephen. The distribution caveat you have at the bottom of the Vassal post looks fine, thanks. --dennis