Chit Cup (Deck) Question

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me.

My requirement is to simulate a Cup that has a number of chits in it that are drawn out randomly to determine turn order. I’ve created a Vassal Deck to handle this where each chit is represented as a Card and it’s working as expected.

However I have an additional requirement.

I only want to start with a subset of chits in the cup and need to have the ability to add or take chits away from the total pool available in the cup during the course of the game.

Once the pool of chits are drawn from the cup and the cup is empty (thus marking the end of a turn) I want to be able to return the chits back to the cup but only the subset which is in play (ie. the current chit pool at that point in time and not all chits).

How can I achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I do this in The Devil’s Cauldron and other GTS modules. It all depends on the command you use to return the chits to the cup. I do it by having the currently in play chits laid in a particularly named Zone (say ‘Current’). Out of play chits are stored in other zones or on other Maps waiting to come into play.

My ‘Refill Cup’ button issues a Global Key Command to all Chits with Type = Chit and CurrentZone = Current. Only chits sitting in the Current Zone will return to the cup. Plays then add new chits as required directly to the Cup or to the Current Zone.

Brent.

Many thanks for the reply Brent. I might checkout your module as an example and take it from there.

If I have any further questions I’ll message you if that’s ok?

Sure.

Hi,

One further question.

I’ve checked out The Devil’s Cauldron module and have made changes to mine based upon it like creating zones on my Turn Cup board, giving the chits the appropriate properties etc.

However I think there’s a disconnect that I’m not quite grasping.

I can see in the module that the Activation chits are not defined as Cards ‘underneath’ the Activation Deck, but rather as Single Pieces with a Chit property. I assume you’ve done it in this way so only a subset of chits are in the cup at any one time rather than the total population of Cards.

However, what is the trigger to say that when the cup is refilled only that subset of chits in play should be returned? That’s the bit that I seem to be missing.

For example, I have a zone within my Turn Cup board called ‘Activated’. I only want chits that are in the ‘Activated’ zone to be returned to the cup when I perform a Refill Cup Global Key Command. I’ve tried using a LocationName==Activated for the matching properties of the Refill Cup Global Key Command but it doesn’t appear to be working in that nothing is returned.

What config am I missing such that when a chit is placed in the Activated Zone, it receives a LocationName of ‘Activated’?

Regards,

Jim.

Watch your Syntax.

LocationName=Activated

in 3.1.2 format (i.e. only a sinlge =) or

{LocationName==“Activated”}

As a 3.2 beanshell expression

I’ve changed it to LocationName=Activated and that is now returning All chits to the cup irrespective of which board they’re on or whether that are active or not.

How do I configure the module so that only those chits that are on the Turn Cup board in the Activated zone get returned to the cup?

Jim,

Sounds like there is a bug in your module somewhere.

First thing to do is check the actual LocationName for the chits in
different places. Add a Text Label trait to the chists with a Ctrl L
Change Label command and add a label of $LocationName$ to chits and see
what it actually is.

If using Zones to seperate different pieces, I usually use CurrentZone
rather than LocationName as the selector. LocationName is dependent on
how you have set up the grid location reporting.

Otehr than that, I would really need to see a copy of your module to
help debug it.

Regards,
Brent.

On 8/10/2013 7:23 PM, Yojimbo252 wrote:

[This message has been edited.]

I’ve changed it to LocationName=Activated and that is now returning
All chits to the cup irrespective of which board they’re on or whether
that are active or not.

How do I configure the module so that only those chits that are on the
Turn Cup board in the Activated zone get returned to the cup?

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton@exemail.com.au