Layers

Dear Somebody Bright/Clever,

I currently have certain pieces with a large number of layers (100+!) which appear to slow down the game a great deal. Each layer is a small graphic. Does anybody know a more elegant way of incorporating the general idea as set out below:

Each piece represents a class of troops for barons.
The layers on each piece are the individual heraldic symbol of the relevant baron.

So for example there is a “Light Infantry” piece which is the same across all 110 barons. This Light Infantry piece has 110 layers. By selecting the relevant layer the piece displays the heraldic symbol of the related baron. Thus making it easier to identify which baronial troops belong to which baron.

Obviously I could make 110 separate pieces but as there are approximately 8 classes of baronial troop…you get the idea…I also considered some sort of sub-grouping but wondered if anyone has a better idea…

Any help much apppreciated.

I’m blanking on how to reduce the number of layers involved, so the next most obvious questions are “how big are your pieces (in square pixels)”, and “how tied are you into keeping those pieces that same size?”

100+ layers is more than I’ve done - most so far for me has been somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 (for the crew names in Star Smuggler). Your project sounds quite ambitious…

Thanks for the response.

The pieces themselves are 6060 pixel png files about 5kb in size.
The layers are about 15
15 pixels.

The game has about 800-1000 pieces this size so I am quite wedded to retaining the size…

If I could work out how to attach an image of a piece to this reply I would to demonstrate sizing.

That certainly sounds like a reasonable token/layer size; I usually make mine somewhere in the vicinity of 50x50.
I guess the next question that needs to be asked is “how specifically is your box behaving”? What are its performance stats (processor, RAM, etc.). Also, how big is your mod so far?

For future reference, you can attach images via the full editor (not Quick Reply).

I may not be able to help you much with this one, just fair warning.

Hello there

The system basic info is
Windows 7 32 bit
4gb Ram
Intel Core i5 2.8ghz
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

However the module is a bit of a pig

Base Module is a mere 3gb
But there are about 7 extensions adding another 38gb

This of course may be where the problem lies!

Not to worry if you cannot think of something. I had wondered if there was a way of using some sort of variable to call an individual graphic layer rather than storing all 110 on the actual piece.

Thus spake uglug:

Hello there

The system basic info is
Windows 7 32 bit
4gb Ram
Intel Core i5 2.8ghz
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

However the module is a bit of a pig

Base Module is a mere 3gb
But there are about 7 extensions adding another 38gb

What!? That is enormous for the number of images you say you have
and the dimensions you say they are. Is the module available for
download somewhere so we can see what you’ve done?

J.

Oi - 3 GB!?!? I’m hoping that’s supposed to be MB; if it is GB, there’s your problem right there…

Yes sorry mb not gb!!

Thus spake uglug:

Yes sorry mb not gb!!

Ah. 3MB is a small module.

Your problem is likely the number of traits per piece, but we
won’t be able to tell you for certain unless we can see the module.

J.

Happy to send the base mod plus the relevant extension. (provided you dont laugh too much at the poor design!)

How is it best to send it?

If you don’t mind revealing it prematurely, you could just attach it to your next message - 3 MB is trivial. Just go into the full editor and attach it like you would any other file. If you’re still wanting to keep it under wraps, send it via PM. Uckelman is in a better position to diagnose any problems than I am (what with him being a site admin, me just kinda lurking around here), but I’d still be willing to take a look.

I must be being a bit thick as any attachment is blocked for being too big (256k max size). Am I trying to do it the wrong way???

I am using the “upload attachment” option.

Anyway just to give a taster of the set out I have attached to 2 small images. Although I do not expect these to be of much use

Baronialset shows the basic piece with all its underylying properties (including the “Baronial” protoype)

Layersetout shows PART of the “Baronial” Prototype being made up of 117 layers…(the other part of the Baronial Prototype is a Dynamic Property with values 0-300)

Crap; I forgot about the size limit. Sorry about that. Try a PM; if that doesn’t work, you might have to send it via e-mail.

Thus spake uglug:

I must be being a bit thick as any attachment is blocked for being too
big (256k max size). Am I trying to do it the wrong way???

Upload it somewhere else and provide a URL.

J.

I am not a member of any upload site (dinosaur tendencies) so not to worry I shall try a work round.

Thank you both for your time anyway.