"x.vsav is not a valid Vassal module"

Sigh,

Downloaded both latest Java version (7 build 45) and fiddled some with Avast Internet Security (full version) and after that I cannot open any games. If I try to open directly by clicking on the save, the smaller Vassal window opens and nothing happens, then it closes after say 30 seconds. If I try to open Vassal first, then open module I get a message saying “x.vsav is not a valid VASSAL module” and then Vassal.exe shuts down.

I have tried turning off my AV and going back to previous Java versions with no luck. I had played Vassal with Avast and older Java before without problem. I looked at what seemed to be similar problems in previous posts but that doesn´t get me anywhere either. From some comments before it shouldn´t be Java causing the problem because then Vassal wouldn´t open at all?

Windows 7 64-bit but with 32-bit Java.

Thankful for any suggestions / Tobias

Thus spake Artfiel:

[This message has been edited.]

Sigh,

Downloaded both latest Java version (7 build 45) and fiddled some with
Avast Internet Security (full version) and after that I cannot open any
games. If I try to open directly by clicking on the save, the smaller
Vassal window opens and nothing happens, then it closes after say 30
seconds. If I try to open Vassal first, then open module I get a message
saying “x.vsav is not a valid VASSAL module” and then Vassal.exe shuts
down.

I have tried turning off my AV and going back to previous Java versions
with no luck. I had played Vassal with Avast and older Java before
without problem. I looked at what seemed to be similar problems in
previous posts but that doesn´t get me anywhere either. From some
comments before it shouldn´t be Java causing the problem because then
Vassal wouldn´t open at all?

Post the contents of the errorLog.

vassalengine.org/wiki/Error_Logs

We can’t help you without that.

J.

Avast! upgraded to a new version (2014.9.0.2006) just a couple days ago, and java applications stopped working. Vassal won’t run for me; it stalls for 15-30 seconds and then exits. When I checked the log, I saw that vassal timed out trying to open a port. I then tried fiddling with avast setup without success. The only thing that worked was when I turned off the Avast! firewall. (Settings/Active Protection) I then went to avast.com and checked the forums, and lo and behold, people were complaining about having to shut off the firewall to get certain applications to work. An Avast! rep replied in one or two threads that they plan to have a patch next week (week of 10/28/13).

Ok, thanks, sounds exactly like my problems, did try shutting down their firewall but even that didn´t help. Will give another go with rebooting after turning it off.

The error log attached in this message.

/ Tobias

I can’t speak to the crash that’s occurring when you double-click the x.vsav file with the expectation that VASSAL will fire up and load the appropriate module, but…

The part I quoted above sounds like a procedural error. When you use Open Module from the File menu, VASSAL should give you that error message. It’s expecting you to point to a module, but you tried to open a saved game file.

Granted, it still probably shouldn’t crash the entire program, but I thought I would point this out. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding what you did.

Thus spake Artfiel:

Ok, thanks, sounds exactly like my problems, did try shutting down their
firewall but even that didn´t help. Will give another go with rebooting
after turning it off.

The error log attached in this message.

What you’ve attached is a screenshot of the Error Log dialog. I can’t
see the entire errorLog from that. Copy the complete text from that
window after you have the problem and paste it here.

J.

You may be seeing two problems here. First, it’s Monday afternoon, and “Avast!” has not yet fixed the bug that keeps java applications from running. Your exits may be caused by that.

Second, a vsav file is not a vassal module, so the message is correct. You should not be using “File/Open Module” to open a vsav or vlog file. I just tried it myself, and I too got that (expected) error message. Use “open module” to open a vmod file; THEN from inside the module, open the vsav.

I´ve isolated the error to Avast, both it´s webshield and firewall need to be deactivated, they have promised a fix as Vassal is not only thing to suffer from this. (Doing this, I have been able to open Vassal now, not sure why it didn´t work earlier when I deactivated Avast entirely, but anyway…)

/ T

Only the firewall is my problem. I got a version upgrade today (11/1, 2014.9.0.2007), and the firewall STILL blocks vassal.