Create account / Log in

Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby reddeblu » December 15th, 2013, 3:34 am

I've recently found documentation stating that .vdck is the preferred and, possibly mandatory filetype for decks: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module ... nformation

However before knowing this I have made all my decks .txt files and have since uploaded them to the modules page (them being starter decks).

Is it still preferred that decks use the .vdck extension, or is .txt fine and tolerated?

And just out of curiosity, are there any plans to have vassal sort of start you out with the right filetype when saving various stuff, as opposed to currently where we have to manually type the filetype such as .vmod?
- Model: Custom Build
- Operating System: Windows XP
- CPU: 3GHz
- Memory: 2 GB
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
- Vassal version: 3.2.10
- Java: Version 7 Update 51
reddeblu
 
Posts: 112
Joined: March 25th, 2011, 3:24 am

Re: Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby uckelman » December 29th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Thus spake reddeblu:
> I've recently found documentation stating that .vdck is the preferred
> and, possibly mandatory filetype for decks:
> http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module ... nformation[1]
>
> However before knowing this I have made all my decks .txt files and have
> since uploaded them to the modules page (them being starter decks).
>
> Is it still preferred that decks use the .vdck extension, or is .txt
> fine and tolerated?

.vdck is preferred. Giving them .txt as an extension is confusing, as
they're not text files.

> And just out of curiosity, are there any plans to have vassal sort of
> start you out with the right filetype when saving various stuff, as
> opposed to currently where we have to manually type the filetype such as
> .vmod?

Yes, for VASSAL 4. File choosers are a disaster in Swing, so it's not
worth the effort to get it right while we're still using Java.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8798
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby Tim M » December 29th, 2013, 7:25 pm

The problem though is that .vdck is not an allowed uploadable file type at
the moment. You'll have to fix this

From the upload page:
Permitted file types: png, gif, jpg, jpeg, svg, vmod, vmdx, vsav, vlog, zip,
gz, bz2, xz, java, pdf, txt.

-----Original Message-----
From: messages [mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Joel
Uckelman
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:27 AM
To: The mailing list for VASSAL
Subject: Re: [messages] [General Discussion] Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Thus spake reddeblu:
> I've recently found documentation stating that .vdck is the preferred
> and, possibly mandatory filetype for decks:
> http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module ... nformation[1]
>
> However before knowing this I have made all my decks .txt files and
> have since uploaded them to the modules page (them being starter decks).
>
> Is it still preferred that decks use the .vdck extension, or is .txt
> fine and tolerated?

.vdck is preferred. Giving them .txt as an extension is confusing, as
they're not text files.

> And just out of curiosity, are there any plans to have vassal sort of
> start you out with the right filetype when saving various stuff, as
> opposed to currently where we have to manually type the filetype such
> as .vmod?

Yes, for VASSAL 4. File choosers are a disaster in Swing, so it's not worth
the effort to get it right while we're still using Java.

--
J.
Tim,
Vassal Uber Geek/Guru

Problems? post your OS, Physical Mem, version of Vassal and Java plus the Module in question.
No developer can help with out that info, thx!
User avatar
Tim M
 
Posts: 1812
Joined: December 8th, 2007, 12:22 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby uckelman » December 29th, 2013, 9:36 pm

Thus spake "Tim McCarron":
> The problem though is that .vdck is not an allowed uploadable file type at
> the moment. You'll have to fix this

Thanks for spotting that. It's fixed now.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8798
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby reddeblu » January 7th, 2014, 3:58 am

I appreciate this being looked at and fixed, but I am still unable to upload .vdck files to vassals site.

When I try, I always get this error message:

File extension ".vdck" does not match the detected MIME type of the file (text/plain).

I'm saving the deck right from the module, making it a .vdck extension, so i don't know what else to do.
- Model: Custom Build
- Operating System: Windows XP
- CPU: 3GHz
- Memory: 2 GB
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
- Vassal version: 3.2.10
- Java: Version 7 Update 51
reddeblu
 
Posts: 112
Joined: March 25th, 2011, 3:24 am

Re: Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby reddeblu » January 24th, 2014, 8:47 pm

The same problem persist as of this date, just thought I'd let it be made aware.
- Model: Custom Build
- Operating System: Windows XP
- CPU: 3GHz
- Memory: 2 GB
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
- Vassal version: 3.2.10
- Java: Version 7 Update 51
reddeblu
 
Posts: 112
Joined: March 25th, 2011, 3:24 am

Re: Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby uckelman » February 10th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Thus spake reddeblu:
> I appreciate this being looked at and fixed, but I am still unable to
> upload .vdck files to vassals site.
>
> When I try, I always get this error message:
>
> File extension ".vdck" does not match the detected MIME type of the file
> (text/plain).
>
> I'm saving the deck right from the module, making it a .vdck extension,
> so i don't know what else to do.
>

Try now.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8798
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby reddeblu » February 10th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Nope, still unable to upload .vdck files to a module page. Still getting the same error instead.

File extension ".vdck" does not match the detected MIME type of the file (text/plain).

Edit: This is my 100th post yay!
- Model: Custom Build
- Operating System: Windows XP
- CPU: 3GHz
- Memory: 2 GB
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
- Vassal version: 3.2.10
- Java: Version 7 Update 51
reddeblu
 
Posts: 112
Joined: March 25th, 2011, 3:24 am

Re: Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby uckelman » February 10th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Thus spake reddeblu:
> Nope, still unable to upload .vdck files to a module page. Still getting
> the same error instead.
>

Try once again.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8798
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Deck filetypes, .vdck?

Postby reddeblu » February 11th, 2014, 3:44 am

They are uploadable now, successfully done it. However clicking them on the module page opens them like text files rather then saving them. Right clicking and save as is still the only way to download them, which unfortunately doesn't make them any different than the text files. :(

Despite that, thank you for the hard work in maintaining this. :)
- Model: Custom Build
- Operating System: Windows XP
- CPU: 3GHz
- Memory: 2 GB
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
- Vassal version: 3.2.10
- Java: Version 7 Update 51
reddeblu
 
Posts: 112
Joined: March 25th, 2011, 3:24 am


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests