Game manuals and tasksbar help

Hi,
Brand new to vassal and have some questions.

1. Where are the game manuals? Are they included in something else? Downloaded the modals and do not see any game manuals…

2. Where are the tasks bar options? Ending turn, ending phase, sequence of play etc… Have downloaded R.C., Squad Leader and Flat top to name a few and they are all like that, no game manuals and no tasks bar. I do have other options like going on line, counters, charts etc…But not the option I described.

Thanks

Thus spake TNKKILLER:

Hi,
Brand new to vassal and have some questions.

1. Where are the game manuals? Are they included in something else?
    Downloaded the modals and do not see any game manuals…

Games tend to include manuals when you buy them.

1. Where are the tasks bar options? Ending turn, ending phase, sequence
    of play etc… Have downloaded R.C., Squad Leader and Flat top to name a
    few and they are all like that, no game manuals and no tasks bar. I do
    have other options like going on line, counters, charts etc…But not the
    option I described.

Not all modules have turn trackers. You need to know the sequence of
play yourself, as you would if you had the game on your table.

J.

So how is combat resolved?
I am a very experience wargamer and this is very different and perhaps I expected more.
This system appears to as only an online gaming and you should already have the rules in front of you? yes?
Then combat is calculated and resolved, add it up, check the charts, and roll the dice?

Thus spake TNKKILLER:

So how is combat resolved?

If you do it with dice in the game, then there ought to be some dice
buttons in the module. People usuall indicate what they’re doing in
the chat pane, and then roll.

I am a very experience wargamer and this is very different and perhaps I
expected more.
This system appears to as only an online gaming and you should already
have the rules in front of you? yes?

Yes.

Then combat is calculated and resolved, add it up, check the charts, and
roll the dice?

This depends on how much automation the module designer has built into
the module. Some modules do quite a lot for you, others are only virtual
tabletops.

J.

Is there another source for the game manuals without buying the game?

Thus spake TNKKILLER:

Is there another source for the game manuals without buying the game?

Some game companies provide PDFs of rules on their sites—but I’d
strongly encourage you to buy games that you plan to play, or to
play with someone who does own a copy.

J.

Yes or something else. I understand,
Can you recommend a game that is easy to play and “user friendly” that will help me learn the system? Perhaps TACTICS II? or?

TNKKILLER,

The BEAUTIFUL thing about VASSAL is that anyone can take a game right out of its box and create a VASSAL module that acts like you’re playing a game right out of its box.

The FRUSTRATING thing about VASSAL is that anyone can take a game right out of its box and create a VASSAL module that acts like you’re playing a game right out of its box.

To learn VASSAL, look for a game you either own or can get ahold of a physical copy and download the module and start from there. The only VASSAL system you have to learn about is the online play and the VASSAL development team has done a great job of making that fairly transparent. A good starting point is the USER GUIDE. It’s a little dated as it was written for version 3.1 but for a newcomer you will find it invaluable. You can find it under the help menu on the main VASSAL screen.

Good luck and welcome to the VASSAL community.

Hi folks new to VASSAL and looking for a little help setting up a game of Flat Top. I have played it before, many moons ago, but would like to know what rule set the module uses and whether or not a moderator/referee is required. I’d hope that the engine handles the latter. Dropped Bill an email, as suggested in another thread, but…