VASSAL 4 - 3D components

Here’s something to think about :slight_smile:

I would LOVE to see 3D components in the next version of VASSAL, it would open an entire new world!

I could even help design most of the 3D components (I work with 3D CAD, so I can model the base components at true size). Cubes, cards, counters, meeples, etc. Most stuff can be modelled with a simple extrusion or revolve.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thus spake Hamster:

Here’s something to think about :slight_smile:

I would LOVE to see 3D components in the next version of VASSAL, it
would open an entire new world!

Could you describe how you’d like 3D components to behave?

J.

Basicly, the 3D components would behave the same as the 2D components. Players can select/move/remove the 3D components. Having 3D components will enable VASSEL to view the gameboard from every angle (for example, isometric views (4x), top-down, player-perspective views, etc.).

How about integrating Three.js?

Examples

I mean…wow!

Thus spake Hamster:

Basicly, the 3D components would behave the same as the 2D components.
Players can select/move/remove the 3D components. Having 3D components
will enable VASSEL to view the gameboard from every angle (for example,
isometric views (4x), top-down, player-perspective views, etc.).

I don’t see the value of 3D components myself. However, if someone
wanted to make a V4 client which did 3D display, there’d be nothing
stopping them—what data clients are presented with will be well-
defined and documented.

J.

When I saw this I thought maybe it could be helpful for the category/family of block-wargames if the 3d counters themselves had some useful function beyond aesthetics.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamil … k-wargames

At the moment though I think I agree the engine already covers all of what physical block pieces do.

Hi !

I dig this thread about something I am really looking for in Vassal : 3d animated dices (10-dice, 20-dice, and more). Could be really fun to play some board and rpg gaming using 3d dices. :slight_smile: