Create account / Log in

Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Issues with the Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby Rindis » February 21st, 2014, 7:07 pm

uckelman wrote:Thus spake Rindis:
>
> Ah, ha. Yep, that was the problem. I'll note that the entry in the App
> menu (which is the Win 8 Start Menu with a different layout) has the
> problem.

I don't follow---has *what* problem? Are you saying that the entry in
the App menu has a bad path? If so, what is the bad path?

The install of 3.2.11 left the shortcut for Vassal pointed at the old (Progam Files (x86)) path instead of updating to the 64-bit Program Files path.

Uninstalling and reinstalling generated a correct shortcut.

uckelman wrote:> I'll also note that my main desktop machine (Win 7) has not had this
> problem, but all the file extension associations went away when I
> upgraded to 3.2.11 (was fine with 3.2.10).

Can you be more specific about this? Did this happen with a custom
install? With a regular install?

--
J.

Custom install. I still have 3.1.20 installed as well as the latest 3.2.x (and of course, I occasionally have testing versions installed), so I always go custom to manage which versions are on the machine. This has never had a problem (or at least, not *this* problem), but this last time, the extension associations went away.
User avatar
Rindis
 
Posts: 198
Joined: December 22nd, 2007, 12:49 am

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby sithstalker » February 22nd, 2014, 6:15 am

Here is the situation: Vassal 3.2.11 will start the first time. Then, it will not start again. However, if I go into Task Manager and close the "Java (TM) Platform SE Binary" under the "Processes" tab, it starts again fine without the need to restart the PC. I hope that provides information that will help to update the Vassal file so that this extra step isn't necessary.....thanks for your help!
sithstalker
 
Posts: 14
Joined: April 16th, 2013, 8:56 pm

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby uckelman » February 22nd, 2014, 9:06 am

Thus spake sithstalker:
> Here is the situation: Vassal 3.2.11 will start the first time. Then, it
> will not start again. However, if I go into Task Manager and close the
> "Java (TM) Platform SE Binary" under the "Processes" tab, it starts
> again fine without the need to restart the PC. I hope that provides
> information that will help to update the Vassal file so that this extra
> step isn't necessary.....thanks for your help!

I will create a diagnostic build for you and BSkene later today so we
can see why the Module Manager does not exit.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby uckelman » February 22nd, 2014, 1:39 pm

BSkene, sithstalker: After you've run of the Module Manager successfully and closed it, do you have a line like this at the end of your errorLog? (From "INFO" onward, it should match exactly.)

2014-02-13 11:35:00,565 [0-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASSAL.launch.ModuleManagerWindow - Exiting
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby uckelman » February 22nd, 2014, 11:04 pm

BSkene, sithstalker: I believe the temp file cleanup which happens when the Module Manager is closed was getting stuck for you in 3.2.11. Please try 3.2.12-svn9018.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby BSkene » February 23rd, 2014, 12:35 am

uckelman wrote:BSkene, sithstalker: I believe the temp file cleanup which happens when the Module Manager is closed was getting stuck for you in 3.2.11. Please try 3.2.12-svn9018.



It never rains but it pours.

I figures I should uninstall 3.2.11 before running the new exe. But that generated an error (I was able to uninstall a different program I wanted to get rid of anyway). So I went ahead and ran the exe. There was no difference. 1 start up, then nothing on the 2nd attempt.

Thanks for all the work you're doing on this by the way.
BSkene
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 11th, 2014, 12:15 am

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby uckelman » February 23rd, 2014, 10:45 am

Thus spake BSkene:
>
> "uckelman" wrote:
> > BSkene, sithstalker: I believe the temp file cleanup which happens
> > when the Module Manager is closed was getting stuck for you in 3.2.11.
> > Please try 3.2.12-svn9018[1].
>
>
>
> It never rains but it pours.
>
> I figures I should uninstall 3.2.11 before running the new exe. But that
> generated an error (I was able to uninstall a different program I wanted
> to get rid of anyway).

What error? We can't troubleshoot problems for which we don't have any
details.

> So I went ahead and ran the exe. There was no
> difference. 1 start up, then nothing on the 2nd attempt.

Would you answer my question about the errorLog, please?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby uckelman » February 23rd, 2014, 1:22 pm

Thus spake Rindis:
>
> "uckelman" wrote:
> > Thus spake Rindis:
> > >
> > > Ah, ha. Yep, that was the problem. I'll note that the entry in the
> > App
> > > menu (which is the Win 8 Start Menu with a different layout) has the
> > > problem.
> >
> > I don't follow---has *what* problem? Are you saying that the entry in
> > the App menu has a bad path? If so, what is the bad path?
>
> The install of 3.2.11 left the shortcut for Vassal pointed at the old
> (Progam Files (x86)) path instead of updating to the 64-bit Program
> Files path.

Did you check the box telling the installer to create a desktop shortcut
for this install?

> > > I'll also note that my main desktop machine (Win 7) has not had this
> > > problem, but all the file extension associations went away when I
> > > upgraded to 3.2.11 (was fine with 3.2.10).
> >
> > Can you be more specific about this? Did this happen with a custom
> > install? With a regular install?
> >
> > --
> > J.
>
> Custom install. I still have 3.1.20 installed as well as the latest
> 3.2.x (and of course, I occasionally have testing versions installed),
> so I always go custom to manage which versions are on the machine. This
> has never had a problem (or at least, not *this* problem), but this last
> time, the extension associations went away.
>

We've never had file associations for module extensions (.vext). Or is
this not what you're saying?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby uckelman » February 23rd, 2014, 1:34 pm

Rindis, try 3.2.12-svn9019: http://vassalengine.sourceforge.net/builds/

Nothing changed in the Windows installer between 3.2.9 and 3.2.11, so I don't have any explanation for what you're seeing. However, I made a change in trunk@9019 which causes the installer to be more paranoid about ensuring that it is writing to the correct (32- or 64-bit) registry hive.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby Rindis » February 23rd, 2014, 8:09 pm

uckelman wrote:Thus spake Rindis:
>
> "uckelman" wrote:
> > Thus spake Rindis:
> > >
> > > Ah, ha. Yep, that was the problem. I'll note that the entry in the
> > App
> > > menu (which is the Win 8 Start Menu with a different layout) has the
> > > problem.
> >
> > I don't follow---has *what* problem? Are you saying that the entry in
> > the App menu has a bad path? If so, what is the bad path?
>
> The install of 3.2.11 left the shortcut for Vassal pointed at the old
> (Progam Files (x86)) path instead of updating to the 64-bit Program
> Files path.

Did you check the box telling the installer to create a desktop shortcut
for this install?

No. I never use desktop shortcuts, and always use the Start Menu (or Start screen, in the case of Win 8, here). I don't know if a desktop shortcut would have been replaced/updated, but the Start/App Menu one was not.

uckelman wrote:> > > I'll also note that my main desktop machine (Win 7) has not had this
> > > problem, but all the file extension associations went away when I
> > > upgraded to 3.2.11 (was fine with 3.2.10).
> >
> > Can you be more specific about this? Did this happen with a custom
> > install? With a regular install?
> >
> > --
> > J.
>
> Custom install. I still have 3.1.20 installed as well as the latest
> 3.2.x (and of course, I occasionally have testing versions installed),
> so I always go custom to manage which versions are on the machine. This
> has never had a problem (or at least, not *this* problem), but this last
> time, the extension associations went away.
>

We've never had file associations for module extensions (.vext). Or is
this not what you're saying?

--
J.
[/quote]
Um, no, it's not. All the file extension associations went away. *.vsav, *.vmod, *.vlog....
User avatar
Rindis
 
Posts: 198
Joined: December 22nd, 2007, 12:49 am

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby uckelman » February 23rd, 2014, 8:38 pm

Thus spake Rindis:
> >
> > Did you check the box telling the installer to create a desktop
> > shortcut
> > for this install?
>
> No. I never use desktop shortcuts, and always use the Start Menu (or
> Start screen, in the case of Win 8, here). I don't know if a desktop
> shortcut would have been replaced/updated, but the Start/App Menu one
> was not.

Did the most recent 3.2.12 build do the right thing in this regard?

> Um, no, it's not. __All__ the file extension associations went away.
> *.vsav, *.vmod, *.vlog....

Same question.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby Rindis » February 24th, 2014, 12:49 am

uckelman wrote:Thus spake Rindis:
> >
> > Did you check the box telling the installer to create a desktop
> > shortcut
> > for this install?
>
> No. I never use desktop shortcuts, and always use the Start Menu (or
> Start screen, in the case of Win 8, here). I don't know if a desktop
> shortcut would have been replaced/updated, but the Start/App Menu one
> was not.

Did the most recent 3.2.12 build do the right thing in this regard?

Okay, this gets complicated:

Since the given problem was the shortcut not switching over correctly on Win 8, I uninstalled Vassal and installed 3.2.8, which installs to the '(x86)' directory.

Then I did a standard install of 3.2.12-svn9019 (which is what I did with .11 earlier). Install goes fine, Vassal launches at the end of the install. Close, and go to the Start/App Menu. Vassal is there, but refuses to launch. Try a couple more times: nothing. Check everything: Vassal is indeed in the (x86) directory, the shortcut is pointing there; everything looks fine. Try a couple more times: nothing.

Open Task Manager: There is about a dozen copies of "Java(TM) Platform SE binary" listed, plus one that says, "Java(TM) Platform SE binary (32 bit)". I can close the former, but not that last one. Clean up the various extra copies: Vassal starts. (I have seen this situation once before recently, but wasn't paying attention enough to know how I got there, or what I was doing at the time.)

Close Vassal, copy of Java appears in Task Manager. Try to start Vassal. No Vassal, but a second copy of Java appears in Task Manager. End task on those two, go to menu, Vassal starts this time. (I poke around after this, and it looks like full sequence is: Launch Vassal, copy of Java appears, Module Manager comes up, copy of Java disappears, exit Vassal, copy of Java reappears.)

Back to main task: Install 3.2.12-svn9019. Message: "Windows protected your PC -- Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk." Run anyway.

Standard install goes fine, and the menu shortcut now points at the standard (64-bit) directory, and will launch Vassal fine. However, the Java problem causing it to not be able to launch twice in a row (as above) persists.

uckelman wrote:> Um, no, it's not. __All__ the file extension associations went away.
> *.vsav, *.vmod, *.vlog....

Same question.

--
J.

Windows 7; Custom Install

Start installer, and the 'Remove Old Versions' dialog only shows 3.1.20. 3.2.11, which is installed on the machine (I've been running it), and is listed in the Control Panel uninstall list, does not show in the Vassal installer dialog.

Rest of the install goes fine. File associations are back.

I tend to suspect that something odd (and likely inexplicable) just happened when I installed 3.2.11 on my main machine. But the fact that the installer can't see the previous version is interesting.
User avatar
Rindis
 
Posts: 198
Joined: December 22nd, 2007, 12:49 am

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby uckelman » February 24th, 2014, 8:25 am

Thus spake Rindis:
>
> Standard install goes fine, and the menu shortcut now points at the
> standard (64-bit) directory, and will launch Vassal fine. However, the
> Java problem causing it to not be able to launch twice in a row (as
> above) persists.

Now it looks like you're having the same problem as BsKene and
sithstalker.

>
> I tend to suspect that something odd (and likely inexplicable) just
> happened when I installed 3.2.11 on my main machine. But the fact that
> the installer can't see the previous version is interesting.

Check in the registry under HKLM\Software\vassalengine.org\VASSAL.
What do you see there?

Does the 3.2.12-svn9016 installer see 3.2.11?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby uckelman » February 24th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Rindis, if VASSAL now won't start for you on subsequent attempts, please post the errorLog you're getting from the first attempt.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Postby Rindis » February 24th, 2014, 4:47 pm

uckelman wrote:Rindis, if VASSAL now won't start for you on subsequent attempts, please post the errorLog you're getting from the first attempt.

Okay, error log after first (successful) launch on Win 8:
2014-02-24 08:41:30,807 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Starting
2014-02-24 08:41:30,807 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - OS Windows 8 6.2
2014-02-24 08:41:30,807 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Java version 1.6.0_45
2014-02-24 08:41:30,807 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - VASSAL version 3.2.12-svn9019
2014-02-24 08:41:30,994 [0-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager - Manager
2014-02-24 08:41:46,813 [0-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASSAL.launch.ModuleManagerWindow - Exiting

And it doesn't start on the second go, and the Error Log is not updated.

I'll try to remember to test svn9016 on my Win7 desktop tonight.
User avatar
Rindis
 
Posts: 198
Joined: December 22nd, 2007, 12:49 am

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support & Bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests