Scrolling, Zooming, General Usability?

I’m having a hard time finding Vassal practical for most games. I mean, it works… but the interface appears to be 100% click-based.

For instance, to scroll horizontally in a window, I can’t find any options besides dragging the scroll bars. There’s no click-drag (e.g. Google Maps style) drag-scrolling, there’s no OSX multitouch scrolling, there’s no hot-button-pan scrolling. Just scroll bars. :-/

Second, zooming in and out is a major necessity for just about any large-board game (e.g. Robinson Crusoe, Merchants & Marauders, etc). But again, the only way to zoom appears to be buttons in a given windows toolbar! There’s no hotkey-scroll zooming, no pinch-to-zoom, no zoom in/out keyboard shortcuts (the least desirable of all options)… it’s just maddening.

I’ve tried searching for Vassal shortcuts and usability tips, but I can’t find anything at all. Am I missing something? Is this really just how Vassal works? Are there really no tricks that I just happened to miss that can substantially improve usability?

Thus spake Veraxus:

I’m having a hard time finding Vassal practical for most games. I mean,
it works… but the interface appears to be 100% click-based.

For instance, to scroll horizontally in a window, I can’t find any
options besides dragging the scroll bars. There’s no click-drag (e.g.
Google Maps style) drag-scrolling, there’s no OSX multitouch scrolling,
there’s no hot-button-pan scrolling. Just scroll bars. :-/

This will be different in the reference client for VASSAL 4.

Second, zooming in and out is a major necessity for just about any
large-board game (e.g. Robinson Crusoe, Merchants & Marauders, etc). But
again, the only way to zoom appears to be buttons in a given windows
toolbar! There’s no hotkey-scroll zooming, no pinch-to-zoom, no zoom
in/out keyboard shortcuts (the least desirable of all options)… it’s
just maddening.

There are hotkeys for zooming if the module author created them.

J.

For scrolling, right clicking anywhere on the map window will centre the window over the position you’ve clicked.