Moving all pieces from one board to another?

Hi folks, total newbie here, so forgive me if this has been asked and answered, I attempted to search the forum and it rejected my search as having too many common words. I’ve also dug through the manuals, faq, and googled a bit, but I’m certainly new enough that I may have missed the answers.

I’m trying to figure out how to shift all of the pieces on one board to another board. Each board is hex gridded, with one or more pieces occupying one hex.

I want to move all of the pieces and maintain their positions, and I want to be able to do this across an arbitrary number of boards, so you start the game on ‘map 1’ and you can progress up to ‘map n’, each time moving all pieces and maintaining their positions.

Related, two other issues:

First, I’m using maps I’ve found online as backgrounds, which tend not to be the same size - I need to ensure that the hex grid is identically sized across all maps, otherwise the transitions aren’t going to work. How can I ensure the hex grid is x hexes across by y hexes tall, regardless of the map image size?

Second and probably trickier, I need to move the terrain of any occupied hex with the unit. I know the map image is simply an underlay of the hex, but I’m wondering do the hexes themselves have property fields that can be accessed or edited? If so, I’d want to modify the attributes of the hexes on one map, and have those transfer over to the hexes on the next map, overwriting the new hexes.

Failing that, if hexes have no inherent properties, I’d be ok with simply placing terrain ‘pieces’ and having those move along with the units/buildings/etc in the hex - we’re prototyping this, so we can handle having the weirdness of a background image terrain that doesn’t match what the hex has ‘inherited’ from a previous map.

If there are tools out there to automatically create terrain (essentially building a random terrain hex world map) that would be awesome, but failing that, I can use other methods to simulate the terrain in occupied tiles and ‘moving’ it from board to board.

For copying to a board, you should be able to send to a specific location on the new board. If you set that location equal to $currentLocation$ (or something like that), you should be able to change the board and send to the same hex coordinate (make sure your hex coordinates are the same on all boards).

To my knowledge, hex grid sizes/offsets are directly related to map pixels. If you want your hexes to have the same size, you need to resize the map image as well (to have it match up).

Hexes at this point have no inherent properties. You can fake it by using a multi-zone grid and having each terrain zone have a property that can be read. Or a separate grip piece in each hex.

Not sure how you would set this in the ‘send-to’ board other than having a piece in every hex and setting that value. You could use an at-start stack in every hex, but if you’re going to this difficulty, you might as well do it once, then copy the board to the sending board. Otherwise you might be able to construct a set of traits (via custom class or creative trait setting) in a ‘dummy’ counter that would place a terrain piece in every hex automatically and (optionally) randomly set the value.

Thanks for the advice, the unit/piece transition stuff looks fairly straightforward, and resizing images to fix the hex sizes is trivial.

At this point I think the ‘terrain piece’ is probably the best solution, because doing a check for any hex that has a unit/piece in it and then moving that piece plus the ‘terrain’ piece with it seems like the easiest way to simulate the earth moving along with the unit, so to speak.

It will result in some weirdness like mountains and plains moving over to a new board in the middle of an ocean right now, but we’ll handle that in playtesting ;)