Heap Exceeded Problem

We need the following information:

• Aspire V5 NetBook
    -Windows 8

• AMD dual core Processor A4-1250 (1.0GHz)

• 4GBDDR3 L Memorry

• Current Version

• Current Version

• Marvel Legendary 3.0

I am Currently working on an extension for Marvel Legendary that will add in the user made cards, which were found on the board game geek forums. I am consistently running into a heap problem, which I assume is my own error. The heap size keeps maxing out. I just started it and it worked at Min512 and max 1080. However, after one additional deck it was maxed out again. Any tips or tricks to save space on memory .

Ps. I just got vassal a week ago , so I’m a total newbie. I am a CS student so, I have a sliver of knowledge.

Thus spake alexandermacleay via messages:

We need the following information:

• Aspire V5 NetBook
    -Windows 8

• AMD dual core Processor A4-1250 (1.0GHz)

• 4GBDDR3 L Memorry

• Current Version

• Current Version

• Marvel Legendary 3.0

I am Currently working on an extension for Marvel Legendary that will
    add in the user made cards, which were found on the board game geek
    forums. I am consistently running into a heap problem, which I assume is
    my own error. The heap size keeps maxing out. I just started it and it
    worked at Min512 and max 1080. However, after one additional deck it was
    maxed out again. Any tips or tricks to save space on memory .

We need the module and the extension. We can’t help you without it.

J.

vassalengine.org/wiki/Module … lding_Game

Thats the link to the module. The Extensions wont upload on this.

vassalengine.org/wiki/Module … lding_Game[1]

Thats the link to the module. The Extensions wont upload on this.

Then put the extension somewhere we can get it. Otherwise there’s nothing
we can do to help you.

J.

sourceforge.net/projects/vassal … endaryext/

I think the images might be the root of the problem, but really this is a guess. The Extension runs at initial 2800 and max 6400. It takes a while to load and does not close without manual help. I I have test played full games successfully but, This is only about half of what i intend to add on to the module. Also, I get the heap error when i try to close the module with extensions. Being a total rook I assume my fault is in lack of knowledge of VASSAL. I’m pretty excited about VASSAL. I put screen shots up on the source forge page.

Alexander

sourceforge.net/projects/vassal … endaryext/[1]

I think the images might be the root of the problem, but really this is
a guess. The Extension runs at initial 2800 and max 6400. It takes a
while to load and does not close without manual help. I I have test
played full games successfully but, This is only about half of what i
intend to add on to the module. Also, I get the heap error when i try to
close the module with extensions. Being a total rook I assume my fault
is in lack of knowledge of VASSAL. I’m pretty excited about VASSAL. I
put screen shots up on the source forge page.

I tried the UserMadeMasterMinds extension, but was not able to run out
of memory with a max heap of 512MB. Please tell us exactly what steps
you’re taking to exhaust memory.

J.

What format are the graphics in?

I know it’s not supposed to make a difference but if I use .JPG images instead of .PNG images - especially for large graphics - I’ll start having memory problems. It’s probably not Vassal itself. It probably has something to do with the way an individual computer deals with graphics. I just know that, for me, if I start using .JPG graphics, I start heading into memory issues.

I use all .png files, but i cannot speak for the original module. Sorry for the delayed response, I have been on vacation. All three extensions are meant to be used together. Originally the plan was have all three of these files as one large extension. I decided to brake them up into smaller extensions, but all three are meant to be used as one. Vassal runs all three and the original module sluggishly with the max memory cranked up. Is there a way to store a card and have it repeat itself in the deck rather than have multiples of a card? That would save a tremendous amount of space for this module and the extensions I am making.

Alexander

Firstly, I see a problem with all three extensions having the same extension id “90d”, but that’s not related to your memory issue.

Second, I’m able to load all three extensions together with a max heap of 1024MB (of which only 573MB is in use at peak).

Third, your memory issue has nothing to do with the image format you’re using. VASSAL stores images in memory as raw pixel data. A PNG which is 1000x1000 will use precisely the same amount of memory as a JPEG of that size.

The source of your problem is the huge number of traits you’re using. I see something like 100MB of Strings in memory after loading these extensions. That’s all coming from traits.

Is there a way to see this kind of information?

I’m working on a module for Progress: Evolution of Technology and I’m running into Heap issues also.

Thus spake samuelw3:

Is there a way to see this kind of information?

You can use jvisualvm to see what’s in the heap.

J.

Thanks. I got it installed, but I don’t understand what it is telling me.

Here is a link to the working file… (working might be too strong of a description)…
It’s working like a Jet. The more it runs, the faster and louder the fan in my computer gets. (and it doesn’t want to quit either.)

dropbox.com/s/u0j6s3cwugp7z … .vmod?dl=0

Are my images too big? Or am I just trying to create too much code?

Still having a memory heap issue. I suspect it is the size of the images in my module, but it might be the code I’ve made.

I’ve uploaded the file for Progress Evolution of Technology, but I haven’t made a game page for it yet, because will crash every time.

Also on Dropbox… dropbox.com/s/fjkgmacpvw5j4 … d.zip?dl=0

It is not complete, and I’m continuing to work on it, despite the errors. If anyone else could take a look and make suggestions where my memory heap error is coming from, I’d appreciate it.

I loaded VM-Sim software (?) running Java 8 on Mac OSX 10.10… I could see the heap size growing, but I don’t understand the results of the page. I’ve since reverted to Java 6 because it seems to work better on Mac OS X 10.10 with Vassal.

-Thanks for the help.
-Sam

I just tried reducing all the images to 50% of the original size, and I’m still getting the Heap size problem. Anyone else have any suggestions for where my problem is? Is there such a thing as too much automation?

I’ve tried making all my images smaller, and I’ve tried simplifying my MovedOnMap triggers, but I’m still getting the heap problem error. Not sure what to work on next.

dropbox.com/s/fjkgmacpvw5j4 … d.zip?dl=0

Thus spake samuelw3:

I’ve tried making all my images smaller, and I’ve tried simplifying my
MovedOnMap triggers, but I’m still getting the heap problem error. Not
sure what to work on next.

I can tell from the way the module loads and exits that the problem
is with the size of the game state you have—i.e., you have too many
traits. Reducing the size of your images won’t help at all.

J.

I realize that this is an old post but wondering if anyone else has discovered a workaround here. Most of the problem I’ve encountered seems to occur as soon as I include EXT 1 Dark City. I can play the game, albeit with some slight lagginess with EXT 2-5 all loaded. I’ve set the max heap size as high as 8192m (i’ve got 16g RAM on my machine) and still it maxes out as soon as I try to run EXT 1 with any other extensions.

I do very basic work with module building and have made a couple relatively simple modules for myself and my friends (Zombicide, Munchkin, The Resistance). Is there some easy way to work this? Or am I going to have to do much more? Would eliminating some of the automation in this module reduce the heap size requirements?