Additive Area of Effect

I suspect I can’t, but I just wanted to check that nobody’s found a way to do this:

The shading of the Area Of Effect trait of a piece is additive. Normally, this is a good thing, two nearby pieces whose areas overlap show a darker shaded area. But, for a stack of units in the same hex, the shading grows darker and darker as the effect of each piece in the stack is added. This makes the area of effect shading always very dark, blotting everything else out, in situations where there is often stacks of pieces.

Question: Is there any way to turn off the additive effect of the shading for pieces stacked in the same hex?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

-Mark R.

Hi Mark,
Try using the ‘use Map Shading?’ option of the Area of Effect trait and specify a Foreground type Map Shading.

Instead of each unit generating a map shading, the Map generates a single shading that is turned on (foreground type) or off (background type) by the presence of counters with Area of Effect traits that reference it.

Thanks Brent - that was exactly what the doctor ordered!
Upon re-read, it’s all in the help text, but I’d never have figured out that was the way to go on my own :slight_smile:

-Mark R.