Module hangs on a Deleted map

Agreed but that still does not allow me to open the recompressed file with VASSAL. Could it be a MAC thing and I’m using the “Unarchiver” but using MAC’s “Compress” feature thus perhaps not getting a ‘true’ ZIP file?

Steve

Thus spake austeve79:

Agreed but that still does not allow me to open the recompressed file
with VASSAL. Could it be a MAC thing and I’m using the “Unarchiver” but
using MAC’s “Compress” feature thus perhaps not getting a ‘true’ ZIP
file?

I’ll tell you what’s misplaced in the recompressed file if you upload
it somewhere and provide a URL.

J.

Must be LENIX issue. I can not return my unzipped file back into a vmod file that would allow my MAC and VASSAL 3.2.12.

When I unzip (by using my “The Unarchiver” app or iZip), I get a folder with all the images and other hints in the directory. I can delete unnecessary files.

Then when its time to return to a VASSAL file, I have used both the MAC ‘compress’ feature’ and the iZip feature to ‘re-zip’ the folder.

I tried to open the Zipped file directly from the engine, I tried simply changing the extension then using the engine, I tried trying to ‘open’ the folder. All without success.

Thus, obviously VASSAL requires a specific zipping/unzipping method that is associated with your LENIX machine.

I will dropbox you the file.

Steve

Thus spake austeve79:

Thus, obviously VASSAL requires a specific zipping/unzipping method
that is associated with your LENIX machine.

No, I’m really sure it doesn’t. Nonetheless, I’m happy to look at the
file.

J.

What you uploaded to Dropbox isn’t a module file. It’s a directory containing the contents of a module.

The contents of the PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.02 directory should be in the root of the ZIP archive you create.

I’ll upload the actual module.What you have is what I was trying to get to.

Steve

Loaded.

Also didn’t realize the amount of artifacts that get left behind. Pays to start with a brand new module vice modifying an existing one.

The module file you uploaded looks correctly structured and works for me.

Well, on a Mac, you can always use Unix tools if you are comfortable using
the command line.
You would get that by using the Terminal app in the Application > Utilities
folder.

Then you could use zip and unzip.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM, austeve79 austeve@stones.com wrote:

Compare the directory structure of your original module with the one

you’ve recompressed. They will not be the same.

Agreed but that still does not allow me to open the recompressed file
with VASSAL. Could it be a MAC thing and I’m using the “Unarchiver” but
using MAC’s “Compress” feature thus perhaps not getting a ‘true’ ZIP
file?

Steve

Read this topic online here:
Module hangs on a Deleted map - #9 by austeve79

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

Joel,

Yes, I uploaded a working module. What I want to do is remove the extraneous items left over from using a previous module. I used my Chancellorsville module without realizing that the previous images and maps still remained. I’ll never do that again. I’ll always start with a brand spanking new module.

tar,

I am not comfortable going into terminal without someone holding my hand. Never was comfortable in MS-DOS.

Steve

Thus spake austeve79:

Yes, I uploaded a working module.

That’s not what I asked you to do. I asked you to upload the non-working
file you created so I could tell you what was amiss with it.

J.

OK, I think I understand now. Do the unzip and delete the extra files then re-zip it. Send THAT file via drop box (if small enough may be able to email it) for you to look at.

The module I have does work, just has extra files in it since I was not educated enough to understand how VASSAL directory works.

Steve

Joel,

Version 1.02 posted in Dropbox. It will not open using VASSAL.

Steve

Thus spake austeve79:

OK, I think I understand now. Do the unzip and delete the extra files
then re-zip it. Send THAT file via drop box (if small enough may be able
to email it) for you to look at.

Yes, that’s what I was asking for.

J.

Thus spake austeve79:

Version 1.02 posted in Dropbox. It will not open using VASSAL.

No, it wouldn’t. The internal directory structure is wrong.

What you have in the root of the ZIP archive are directories called
__MACOSX and PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.02. The contents of the latter
directory is what should be in the root of the ZIP archive.

J.

I read the words but am not proficient in doing what it seems is necessary to fix this.

Thus what I understand is that when I unzip the file, these two directories SHOULD appear but they do not. And I would have to manually put them back in before I zip it back up which is beyond my limited knowledge of how MAC OS works in Terminal. I’ve looked into the net for any guidance but don’t understand what they are trying to tell me.

I opened Terminal and typed unzip PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.01Test.zip. ( I changed the extension to ZIP from VMOD)

I get this “unzip: cannot find or open PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.01Test.zip, PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.01Test.zip.zip or PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.01Test.zip.ZIP.”

I moved the file into the computers directory (folder) and tried again with the same results.

Is there a specific format that I need to type in?

Perhaps I’ve reach the end of what I can do. I was surprised to find the the module size drops from 52 mb to about 13 when I clean out the residual garbage I inadvertently left behind. I am not going to start all over again.

Thanks for the assistance. Wish I was more knowledgeable.

Steve

I am able to add folders called '_MACOSX" and “PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.02” into my unzipped module. Not sure WHAT does into folders. Thus I tried adding a folder named _MACOSX, then placed inside that a folder named “PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.02” and then placed all the remaining stuff in that folder. Zipped it up and changed the extension from ZIP to VMOD. VASSAL doesn’t recognize it.

Thus there must something that goes into those folder and a specific sequence/order.

Steve

[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2014-07-19 at 8.58.14 AM.png[/attachment]

Here is a screenshot showing the unzipped contents of a properly-constructed module. You can ignore the notes.html and the 4 *.vsav files, as these are specific to this module and wouldn’t be found in yours or anyone else’s.

To be clear, you should see a minimum of 3 items:

1. A file named buildfile
  2. A file named moduledata
  3. One folder named images

If your module contains predefined setups, you should see some files ending in .vsav.

All of the tools you need to do this are built into MacOS X already, you don’t need any additional utilities like the one you’ve been using. Since you are getting a folder named PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.02 when you uncompress the item that you intend to be your module, that’s a clear sign that you’ve compressed the wrong thing in the first place. Again, in the Finder, you simply need to double-click the PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.02 folder to open it up. Inside you will hopefully have the 3 items I’ve listed above, plus any .vsav files corresponding to predefined setups you have. Select all of these items as a group, right-click, and Compress them. You then should get a ZIP archive as the output. Rename this file to PaulKoenigsFortressEuropeV1.02.vmod and it should be a valid module with the expected internal structure.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2014-07-19 at 9.08.01 AM.png[/attachment]

THANK YOU! That solved it! My mistake was including the folder that was made when I unzipped.

Compressing just the files and then renaming worked like a charm. Can’t express my gratitude enough.

I could have released the module has I had it, but it would have been over 50 MBs; now its just a bit under 20 MBs.

Will toy with it a bit to ensure it works as intended (which is what I expect but I would be remiss to post it without doing some sort of check).

It’ll also allow me to go back and clean out my other modules.

Again, thank you for the assistance and screen shots.

Steve.