Just Want to Change Some Images

I’m trying to figure out how to modify the art on some cards in a VASSAL module, without changing anything about the properties or functionality or how it works. This seems like it should be a relatively simple thing, but I poked around in Edit mode, and all I can see is the selection from the existing list of images in the module, with no way to add new ones. So I tried unpacking the module and modifying the existing images and then zipping it back into a .VMOD file, but when I did that, it just says the file is not a valid VASSAL module.

I tried Googling it, but it seems like there’s all kinds of documentation for how to create a module, but nothing about how to edit one.

Thus spake rookiebatman:

I’m trying to figure out how to modify the art on some cards in a VASSAL
module, without changing anything about the properties or functionality
or how it works. This seems like it should be a relatively simple
thing, but I poked around in Edit mode, and all I can see is the
selection from the existing list of images in the module, with no way to
add new ones. So I tried unpacking the module and modifying the
existing images and then zipping it back into a .VMOD file, but when I
did that, it just says the file is not a valid VASSAL module.

You’re likely not getting the proper internal directory structure when
you rezip the module. See this thread:

J.

Okay, I read that thread, and I followed the instructions there (rezipping the new .vmod file so that the root folder has images, buildfile, and moduledata), and it’s still coming up invalid.

Never mind, I figured it out. I was using winrar to unpack it, and it appears that when repacking it, you have to select ZIP as the archive format instead of RAR, or it won’t work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.