Vassal 3.2.13 : invisibility trait problem

Vassal 3.2.13 update has made the Invisibility trait reset to visible on all saved games where units were marked invisible.

Sequence:

1. Saved Games in 3.2.12 with several counters with invisibility trail set to ‘invisible’
  2. Updated Engine to 3.2.13
  3. Also update module to 3.2.13 by opening editor and saving.
  4. Load previously saved 3.2.12 game into new version Module and Engine.
  5. Using the ‘Tools->Refresh Counters’ feature to update previous game.
  6. All markers with Invisible trait and selected to be invisible in the earlier save game are now made visible.

I don’t think I’ve noticed this before on other updates.

G.

Thus spake Darkebear:

Vassal 3.2.13 update has made the Invisibility trait reset to visible on
all saved games where units were marked invisible.

Sequence:

1. Saved Games in 3.2.12 with several counters with invisibility trail
    set to ‘invisible’
  2. Updated Engine to 3.2.13
  3. Also update module to 3.2.13 by opening editor and saving.
  4. Load previously saved 3.2.12 game into new version Module and Engine.
  5. Using the ‘Tools->Refresh Counters’ feature to update previous game.
  6. All markers with Invisible trail and selected to be invisible in the
    earlier save game are now made visible.

Does this happen if you skip step 4?

J.

If I skip step 4 then it is fine.

But when I usually implement updates to a Module and want to get the updates into previous saved games, that act does not reset invisibility trait mode.

I can work around the issue, but it would be good if refresh maintained status. I recall many many Vassal engine versions ago this also happened, then got fixed in a following update.

G.

I’m happy to try this on previous versions of the Vassal Engine - can I get previous ones installed simultaneously without removing the most recent?

I want to try 3.2.11 to 3.2.12, as I don’t think this had the problem - but I need to test it to confirm.

G.

To run an old version of VASSAL visit http://www.vassalengine.org/releases/ and download the “-other.zip” versions.

The only way around the problem of the units with Invisibility trait set to ‘invisible’ getting reset to ‘visible’ I’ve found is to do the following:

1. Change to a user account where the markers are truly invisible - not just showing as transparent then the trail is set.
  2. Perform the ‘Tools->Refresh Counters’ function, which will report that these invisible counters are not ‘owned’ and therefore not update them.
  3. Swap back to the original user account, where these counters remain un-refreshed but still transparent, and invisible to the opponent.

This works and gives me a way forward to continue ongoing games whilst being able to further develop the Vassal Modules and save them in the later engine releases, so I’m happy!

G.