Duplicate Card Drawn in Kingmaker (v1.0)

Hi Guys

Had a game of Vassal for the first time and got a bit of a bug … I drew the lord called Roo, then my opponent drew the same card with his next card from the Crown Deck?

Lord cards are unique and having checked the module, there is only one card … so how has it duplicated during the deck draw?

I have the latest Vassal app. Any help/advice appreciated,

Walts

Thus spake Morgoth:

Hi Guys

Had a game of Vassal for the first time and got a bit of a bug … I
drew the lord called Roo, then my opponent drew the same card with his
next card from the Crown Deck?

Lord cards are unique and having checked the module, there is only one
card … so how has it duplicated during the deck draw?

Was this in an online game? Can you reproduce the problem?

J.

It was an online game … I was playing against a chap in the USA (I’m in Scotland).

It only happened once at the endgame and we had been playing for four hours and where calling it a day anyway, so I’m not sure how to reproduce the problem.

Is there a way to keep track of gameplay for debuggers to see what cards where drawn?

Thanks, Walts

Thus spake Morgoth:

Is there a way to keep track of gameplay for debuggers to see what cards
where drawn?

You could start a game log.

J.

I get a lot of bugs like this for the Twilight Struggle module so I’m somewhat glad to see it happens elsewhere. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to track down this bug, but it’s rare enough that I have never ever seen it personally. In addition, there’s only a few contexts in which it really has a very obvious impact and unique cards and units is one of them.

The Holy Grail would be to have a .vlog file where this happens but I’ve never gotten one. I’ve seen a lot of .vsav files which show the duplicates, but I don’t have anything that shows how it happened.

I’ve looked at a lot of VASSAL code trying to track down this bug, but I can’t find it. I have a number of theories but I still haven’t been able to track it down.

I possibility is that it’s a concurrency problem as VASSAL is not particularly thread safe. But again, I can’t find anything in particular in the code.

• M.

P.S.: I think it’s Roos, not Roo.

I doubt it will happen if I run the game myself, but I’ll see if I can replicate the problem, and hopefully the game log will capture it. Strangely enough, I did ask the chap who was showing me the game for such a thing … at the end of the game! :frowning:

One thing, I did notice the VASSAL Version for the Kingmaker module is listed as 3.2.0 … would that be a problem for my Vassal engine (3.2.13) at all?

Is it possible that it’s just a time-lag\sync issue between players whilst playing on the server? The chap I was playing against said he had to reboot his vassal engine a couple of times for some reason while we played, then joined back into the game?

Thanks, Walts

PS:: Roos … it did look odd as Roo onscreen!

Just remembered … we where using Skype at the time as well,

Walts

Thus spake Morgoth:

One thing, I did notice the VASSAL Version for the Kingmaker module is
listed as 3.2.0 … would that be a problem for my Vassal engine
(3.2.13) at all?

No. That’s just the version of VASSAL the module was created in.

Is it possible that it’s just a time-lag\sync issue between players
whilst playing on the server? The chap I was playing against said he
had to reboot his vassal engine a couple of times for some reason while
we played, then joined back into the game?

It is possible, yes. I recommend not doing that if you can avoid it.

J.