Help for beginner

Hello,

I’m thinking about creating a module for the old Waddingtons racing game Formula 1.

I’m really finding it baffling to get find a way to get started…a lot of aspects are unclear to me.

I’ve looked at a few posts and even video, but many seem to be for the hex-type games, whereas F1 has a racetrack with odd shaped “squares”.

If I emailed or shared some pictures of the game, which has some pretty easy mechanics, could anyone talk me through what I need to do? I’m not afraid the time it would take me, but as I say I’m finding it hard to figure out exactly what to do.
Thanks,
Yak

Hi Yak,

Welcome to module design:) There are a variety of resources available for newbie designers, including a 100+ page design guide that outlines the entire design process in some detail.

Obviously, you will need some graphic files for the game in order to turn them into a module. That’s really the core requirement.

A lot of people find it helpful to open a sample module in the Module Editor, in order to get a sense of what others have done.

Do you have any specific questions about the process or the problems you are having?

HI there - thanks for responding.

I’ll guess I’ll start with this one: I have the board - is it best to take a picture with my phone, or try and scan it in pieces, in order to get a master of the whole thing?

You want to use whatever will produce the best quality image. I doubt a picture taken on a phone will fit this bill.

After scanning in the board, you can use an image editor to piece the segments together and produce a single board image. GIMP is a good free one, but maybe you have a favorite you’d prefer to use.

Thus spake TumblingYak:

HI there - thanks for responding.

I’ll guess I’ll start with this one: I have the board - is it best to
take a picture with my phone, or try and scan it in pieces, in order to
get a master of the whole thing?

You’ll get terrible skew and distortion if you take photos of the board
with your phone, even if you have the hands of a surgeon.

Use a scanner and stitch the scans together with Hugin.

hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/scans/en.shtml

J.

Thanks guys. I’ll start scanning and see how I get on.