Looking for WWI air combat gamers

I’ve been gaming for decades, and, at the risk of showing my age, I’ll admit that I bought Steve Jackson’s Ogre back when it had just been released as a mini-game in a plastic envelope. Ahh, those were the days … :slight_smile:

I’ve always especially loved WWI air-combat games, and my collection includes Wings, Ace of Aces, Dawn Patrol, Wings of War and Blue Max.

My husband also loves air-combat games, but only if they involve miniatures. Actually, all the games he likes use miniatures. grins

As a result, there are a lot of games I own that he won’t play.

Fortunately, I just set up a VASSAL account and found it handles some of the games I like most!

So … does anybody here play Wings? Or any other WWI air-combat games? I’ll be glad to learn Aces High as well.

Oh, and as I’m totally new to using VASSAL, so I’ll need you to be patient with me as I learn the ropes, please.

I’d prefer a live game, but I can try PBEM, too.

Thanks!!!

– Eris

Hi Eris,

I am interested in a PBEM game of Richthofen’s War. Do you have it?

Mike

Did you find some gamers?

Is there a Wings of War Module somewhere. If so, where. I am interested.

If you’re willing to learn the rules, I’ll play Aces High with you. It’s not JUST a game, it’s a good simulation of the mechanics of flying the various aircraft. (You can’t turn left while banked right, etc).

It’s a simultaneous movement game… but movement allowances are short enough (typically 3-5 hexes when flying straight and level) that the sim-move aspect doesn’t turn into something like a weird offshoot of blind-man’s bluff. Aircraft with a pilot rated as more experienced may withhold plotting 1-3 movement points until after moves are made (this simulates how well – or poorly – pilots of varying experience levels are at trying to tail one another… in practice, it’s avery elegant solution without having to make a specific and fiddly “tailing rule”… instead the model seems to be based on the idea that the novice pilots have a standard OODA loop, and the most experienced pilots’ OODA loop is about 1/2 a movement phase, with everyone else in between – thus, all else being equal, an “ace” can easily outmaneuver a rookie, even when the rookie is right on his tail, but not so the reverse.

Frankly, it’s the best WW1 air combat game I’ve ever played, and it does NOT require building models, nor pieces mounted on telescoping antennas. It’s a fairly clean design

I not only love to play WWI air games, I like to build the real things. I have assisted in the building of a Fokker DVII, an SE5A, Thomas Morse Scout, Sopwith Triplane, etc. All full scale. But back to gaming. If you are still interested let me know and we can start something. Bill in Texas