Create account / Log in

3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Issues with the Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » February 18th, 2015, 12:50 am

newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$ /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Commands/java -version
java version "1.5.0_30"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_30-b03-389-9M3425)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_30-161, mixed mode, sharing)
newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » February 27th, 2015, 11:33 pm

I'd really like to upgrade to 3.2.15. Any suggestions from anyone? The above posts were in response to questions about my Java set up but they are Greek to me. Thanks!
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » February 28th, 2015, 12:35 am

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> I'd really like to upgrade to 3.2.15. Any suggestions from anyone? The
> above posts were in response to questions about my Java set up but they
> are Greek to me. Thanks!

I haven't had time to follow up further. I should have more time in
the next few days.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » March 1st, 2015, 10:18 pm

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Commands/java
> -version
> java version "1.5.0_30"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
> 1.5.0_30-b03-389-9M3425)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_30-161, mixed mode, sharing)
> newusers-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics:~ NewUser$

So this JVM is the same as the one on your path.

Ok. Some additional things to check. What is the output of these commands?

1) /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Commands/java -version

2) /Library/Internet Plug-ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version


--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » March 2nd, 2015, 1:24 pm

For 1) -bash: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Commands/java: Bad CPU type in executable

For 2)-bash: /Library/Internet: No such file or directory

Thanks!
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » March 2nd, 2015, 1:36 pm

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> For 1) -bash:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Commands/java:
> Bad CPU type in executable

This is what I thought we might see. We can solve your problem now.

The reason you're seeing different behavior between VASSAL 3.2.14 and
3.2.15 is that the launch scripts look for versions of java in a
different order.

The reason that 3.2.15 isn't working for you is that 3.2.15 looks for
Java 6 before Java 5---and your Java 6 installation is broken. In
particular, you've installed Java 6 for the wrong CPU architecture.
(My guess is that your Mac has a PowerPC CPU, not a newer Intel CPU.)

The solution is to uninstall Java 6. Once you do that, 3.2.15 will find
Java 5 first and should launch properly.

If you want to use a version of Java other than Java 5, you need to find
one built for the ppc architecture instead of intel.

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » March 2nd, 2015, 2:01 pm

Is there even a Java 6 for PowerPC?

In any case, how do I uninstall the Java 6 on my computer?

Thanks again!
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » March 2nd, 2015, 2:25 pm

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> Is there even a Java 6 for PowerPC?

I know there's not one provided by Apple. There might be ppc versions
of OpenJDK 6, 7, or 8. You'd have to hunt around.

> In any case, how do I uninstall the Java 6 on my computer?

I don't know. How did you install it?

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby fgilbert2 » March 2nd, 2015, 3:34 pm

I rather doubt I installed it. Bought the computer used.

Found this online, does it look good? rm ~/Library/Caches/Java/deployment.properties
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0
sudo rm /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6
fgilbert2
 
Posts: 11
Joined: February 10th, 2015, 1:20 am

Re: 3.2.13 will not launch under my OS X 10.5.8

Postby uckelman » March 2nd, 2015, 3:57 pm

Thus spake fgilbert2:
> I rather doubt I installed it. Bought the computer used.
>
> Found this online, does it look good? rm
> ~/Library/Caches/Java/deployment.properties
> sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0
> sudo rm /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6

That will delete those directories. Our launch script won't find Java 6
if you do that. However, I can't say for sure if this is the right way
to uninstall Java 6. I'm not a Mac user.

I found a recommendation from one of the Java guys at Apple about this
here, indicating that you should _not_ do what you suggested:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/ ... 06388.html

--
J.
User avatar
uckelman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: December 10th, 2007, 9:48 am
Location: Durham, England

Previous

Return to Technical Support & Bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests