Very slow response

Thus spake shazbot:

AT&T with a NVG510 router wired.

Playing or viewing a game is almost impossible any time before 2am US
central.

You guys who are having this problem need to start talking with AT&T.
I recommend that everyone with the problem do this, as multiple
complaints it makes it more likely that someone will take us seriously
and gives us more chances to get an answer about what’s wrong.

J.

I have notified the three guys I know using AT&T that are having issues to let their ISP know they are having issues.

Another failure tonight. Only the AT&T guys couldn’t get a snyc. Everyone else (Comcast, Time Warner, and a Canadian ISP) had no issues what so ever. The AT&T guys are going to call AT&T, but were not hopeful…

Also having the same issue’s in our Devil’s Cauldron Campaign game. We played Where Eagles Dare campaign from June of last year and finished in January with no problems in connectivity or synching. Our new Campaign, which started out fine the first few weeks (end of January) has been nothing but aggravation the past 5 weeks with me and one other AT&T user, the other 3 players involved are having no issues, but neither do they have AT&T as their ISP.
We are the same players from the first campaign, the only difference is that we are playing on Thursday evenings instead of Tuesday evenings.

Spent an hour with AT&T live chat earlier today, with no solution. I have a wireless router 3801HGV.

Would like to hear more from the person about switching the DSL to Ethernet.

I have not had any trouble since I started using the ethernet cable rather than the wifi connection. I can’t explain why only the Vassal program and website seemed to have trouble with my wifi to computer connection, but it appears that is the case. Been fine for a week now.

BTW, AT&T is now also bouncing email from vassalengine.org because they think it’s spam. I get all such bounces because I’m postmaster here, and every single one has been a password change request or a topic notification from our forum—that is, it’s all legitimate mail which the recipient asked to receive.

The error message I’m getting in the bounce messages is this:

AT&T’s form for getting off their blacklist assumes that you’ve been sending spam, so requires you to specify what you’ve done to mitigate the problem—which is, in our case, nothing, because the messages AT&T has identified as spam are not spam. So far as I can tell, my filling out that form a week ago had no effect.

If you’re an AT&T customer, please also complain to them that they’re blocking legitimate mail you’d like to receive.

Thus spake Tankboy:

Spent an hour with AT&T live chat earlier today, with no solution. I
have a wireless router 3801HGV.

Did they have any suggestions at all about what could be wrong? It’s
obviously something AT&T changed, whether on their own network or as
part of a router update—otherwise it wouldn’t be affecting AT&T
customers so uniformly.

J.

He had no idea other than to contact them again while the problem was occurring so they can port into the computer that’s being affected. Our next Campaign play isn’t until this coming Thursday. so we will see what happens then.

I got AT&T’s attention on Twitter. I’ll keep you posted as things proceed.

Hi Joel,

I dropped a request to ATT via the shortcut above that you provided; it lists this line as one of the choices:

• Tools for AT&T users whose messages have been blocked

included the 521-62.210.178.7 information on the form. Hopefully this, (and any others that are submitted) will help address this.

Well, I am not a comp tech or anything, but as I recall this is bypassing the firewall in the router (you have a 2Wire router probably).
This statement plus a traceroute that I ran during an attempted(failed) connection to a game that showed timeouts occurring at the router led me to this conclusion that the internal hard firewall in the router is to blame. It’s evidently thinking that the data coming in is some sort of intrusion perhaps.

I have had 2 successes to date in connecting without having to ‘wire up’ the connection (which would be a pain) and when I have repeated this, I will post on what I did then.

I got a reply from AT&T about the bouncing emails. They claim they’ve removed our mail server from their blacklist now (though without ever providing any explanation for why it was added in the first place…).

I’ve not had the reply I was promised via Twitter yet. Are people on AT&T still having trouble connecting to our server?

Took about 2 minutes after sync complete message for the map to pop up for The Devil’s Cauldron, but after that, all was quick and immediate response on the moves, so it looks like problem solved;-)

This was using the DMZ plus setting that I set up with you, right? If so, it might be that this is what’s working. Since I have had no issues to date, I am going to post that procedure as a workaround for others that might be having issues without it.

Is anyone still having this problem?

Yes.

I can’t play live games anymore. It is taking 3 minutes to send a message and get a response. I thought it was because the X-Wing players were bogging down the server.

But during the daytime, I am finding it taking long to upload files. It took 3 minutes to upload a 44KB file (thumbnail) for a Vassal module. It is a killer to upload the 5-10MB .vmod files, the screenshot (about 200 KB) and the thumbnail. Heck, it takes a long time, just to bring up the module page.

I have no idea how to even complain to AT&T. I’m not that tech savvy. Is there some standard form I could send and is there an address I could send it to?

Still having problems also. Only time of day I can expect to join/play games smoothly is past 2am central. Anywhere remotely close to prime time takes 8+ minutes to join a game

Thus spake shazbot:

Still having problems also. Only time of day I can expect to join/play
games smoothly is past 2am central. Anywhere remotely close to prime
time takes 8+ minutes to join a game

What did AT&T’s tech support say when you called them?

J.

Thus spake airjudden:

I have no idea how to even complain to AT&T.

Call their tech support.

J.

I cant even get on the website

Trace below

We are getting stuck on your end

C:\Users\Tim>tracert vassalengine.org

Tracing route to vassalengine.org [62.210.178.7]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms homeportal [192.168.1.254]

2 36 ms 35 ms 25 ms 70-138-80-3.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net
[70.

138.80.3]

3 26 ms 24 ms 25 ms 71.144.129.18

4 28 ms 26 ms 27 ms 12.83.36.5

5 55 ms 49 ms 52 ms ggr3.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.139.17]

6 49 ms 48 ms 53 ms 192.205.37.50

7 70 ms 69 ms 69 ms ash-bb3-link.telia.net [80.91.252.121]

8 160 ms 159 ms 161 ms prs-bb3-link.telia.net [80.91.251.242]

9 159 ms 158 ms 166 ms prs-b8-link.telia.net [213.155.131.1]

10 152 ms 154 ms 153 ms online-ic-305116-prs-b8.c.telia.net
[62.115.40.8

6]

11 * * * Request timed out.

12 149 ms 153 ms 148 ms one.vassalengine.org [62.210.178.7]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Tim>

From: messages [mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Joel
Uckelman
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2015 7:19 AM
To: The mailing list for VASSAL
Subject: Re: [messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Very slow response

Thus spake airjudden:

I have no idea how to even complain to AT&T.

Call their tech support.

J.