Question about pieces

Hi,

I’m trying to create pieces that have a property sheet, or spreadsheet, but preferably a property sheet. I want the pieces to have initialized values, but I don’t know how to do it, or if it’s possible. To be more clear, what I want is:

I want to create a piece called “Archer”, and it should have a property sheet trait, that has variables such as attack, defence, and health. And those values must be set to 3, 12, and 25 respectively.

I can make a piece with a property or spreadsheet but when I start a new game, they come up blank, and I have to type in the attack, defence and health every time I play.

Is there a way to have the “archer” piece begin with initial variables?

Thank you very much

Yes, you can define values to the property sheet when you are editing a piece.

After giving a piece a property sheet, right-click the graphic for your piece above the trait list and select the property sheet.

Add in the values you want and then click OK. The property sheet will maintain those values for the piece.

Hi, Thanks for the reply :smiley:

I know that I can begin a new game and edit the property sheet in the pieces palette, but then I have to do this every time I start a new game right? I don’t really want to do it every time for 20 pieces. Is there a way to do it in the module editor itself? Or, would I be able to save my game as a template and still play it online with my co-creator of our boardgame? Apologies for my ignorance, I’m new to vassal and haven’t had the chance to run a fully created game yet.

Thanks alot for your time

I just went and started a new game from the module editor, I clicked on my graphic in the pieces pallet and edited the property sheet by giving it values. I then saved the game. I then closed vassal and chose “load game” after opening the module editor for my board game. And the values are empty.

I just tested it and it worked for me just fine. Here’s a step-by-step.

While you are in the editor, open the piece in the pallete that you want to add values to.

Right click the graphic for the piece and select the property sheet from the piece menu that appears.

Add the values you want.

Close the property sheet and click OK to save the piece.

Save the module.

Now, when you run the module, those values should be intact on those pieces. If not, then I’m not sure what the problem is. I’m using Vassal 3.2.15.

I also haven’t used property sheets in years so I may be missing something as well. I tend to use Dynamic Properties to carry values for a piece and Text Labels or Layers to display the values in some way.

Thank you very much. I figured out what it was : My property sheet was in “game piece prototype definition”, where it should have been on each individual piece, since I was trying to adjust the property sheet of just my archer and another one for just my swordsman. So I made property sheets for each individual piece and your steps worked :slight_smile: Thank you VERY much for your time :slight_smile: