Help with strange error

I uploaded this file:

vassalengine.org/wiki/File:T … -V1-0.vmod

When you start the module, you get this message:
vassalengine.org/wiki/File:S … nError.png

For this module, in order to be able to mix up Multi-Zoned Grid and irregular grids, I did what I often have done: chopped the map up into 6 pieces, creating 6 separate map boards in the “Main Map” and assembling it in the “Map Boards” window under “Select Default Board Setup” (in Main Map, I checked the box “Can contain multiple boards.”

When you open the module, you get 3 of the “Bad Data in Module” messages and as you move down the map, you get more. If you zoom too far out, part of the right side of the map disappears. I believe these errors are completely tied to zooming, because if I delete the zoom feature, the error goes away, but the map is zoomed in so closely, it’s not practical.

The error message says “Bad Data in Module: Image not found.” but then it it shows an image I never used such as 488284e08a13bd96ee369b3d810facfb9a0eccf7 which is not an image name I use. I am familiar with this error message, if I delete a file in the .vmod file and it is being called out, but not with this image that I never created.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

One more piece to the puzzle:

If you adjust the zoom between 25% and 50%, part of the right side of the map disappears. If I set the default zoom at greater than 50% (ex: 51%), I don’t get those error messages.

Any thoughts?

The long alphanumeric strings are references to things in the tile cache. Clear your tile cache (Tools → Clear Tile Cache) and reload the module.

I did that and it re-loaded the module when I opened it, but the problem is still there. I set the minimum zoom for 51%. If you go to the manual zoom and set it for 40%, you’ll see the errors pop up and the right-side of the map disappear.

OK, I see the error. I’m not entirely sure what to suggest. Is there a reason the board has to be split into 6 images, as opposed to combined into one image? It looks like all the scenarios use them all (and in the same layout).

The reason I did this is let’s say you have a game with a hexagonal map grid on the main playing field and a rectangular turn grid at the top. If I overlay a hex grid over the map, then the turn marker will move in a hexagonal pattern, rather than along the turn track. I tried adding an irregular grid, but it appears to only allow one type of grid.

So I break the map into areas. The hexagonal portion is one map. I overlay a hex grid on that map. Then on the other parts, I create an irregular grid, so when you move your turn marker, you can use a Report command to say, for instance, “Turn Marker moves to Turn 2” because I traced out “Turn 2” on the turn track and named it that. That has been the only way I have been able to create multiple grids.

The one thing about this is that you have to have the same number of map sections in the horizontal direction and the vertical, and when you combine your map pieces back together in Vassal, you have to have the exact same number of pixels in both directions or the maps won’t line up evenly.

I figured the error was ultimately tied to having 6 maps, but I have been doing this technique on numerous modules (Ex; Napoleon’s War, Gettysburg 150) and never had this problem. This is the first time.

Note, I used that example as just an example. I know this particular module does not have a hex grid, but it does have 2 different types of grids on it, hence, the need to have multiple maps.

Also, if you want a really good example of this explained with visual examples, check out this post from when I upgraded the Lincoln’s War module:

boardgamegeek.com/article/16646085#16646085

Thus spake airjudden:

I did that and it re-loaded the module when I opened it, but the problem
is still there. I set the minimum zoom for 51%. If you go to the
manual zoom and set it for 40%, you’ll see the errors pop up and the
right-side of the map disappear.

The problem you’re having is that one of the map tiles is missing.
Clear the tile cache, then reload the module. Check the errorLog for
any errors produced by the tiler.

J.

I can reproduce the problem with your module. It’s likely that you’re hitting a bug in the way we calculate the number of columns of tiles. Try making your map a few pixels wider or a few pixels narrower.

Unless I’m missing something, I think you’re creating a lot of extra work for yourself that isn’t necessary. You can do all the kinds of grids you need by having just a single map image and one Multi-zoned Grid for the whole thing. For an area that needs hexes, draw a zone around it (this can be pretty obnoxious for odds shapes due to the bugs in the tool that creates zones), then within that Zone create a hex grid. Status tracks and other stuff would get a single zone drawn and then either rectangular grids or irregular grids within them, whichever you prefer.