What is broken in Twilight Struggle wtih VASSAL 3.2

We’ve had a lot of questions about the use of the Twilight Struggle module with VASSAL 3.2. It’s maintainer, Michael Kiefte, hasn’t updated it yet to be compatible with 3.2—but also told me that he doesn’t know what fails in 3.2.

It might be that very little effort (or a great deal) is required to make the TS module 3.2-compatible, but we won’t know that until we know what is broken. To that end, please tell us on this tread what does not work when using the TS module in VASSAL 3.2.

Guidelines:

• Please provide a list of steps for reproducing the problem.

• Please tell us which version of TS and VASSAL you used. Specify the version number. “The latest” is not helpful, as what you think the latest version is might be different from what the person reading your post thinks the latest version is.

Rule 6.1.2—Game allows influence to be added at the cost of 1 Ops. Point in enemy-controlled country instead of the required 2.
Vassal version: 3.2.12 Game version: 3.0.11c

Surely the rewritten module version 3.1.1 works in VASSAL 3.2? I would imagine 3.1.x is the version Michael will support now.

Yes, that’s correct. The previous post doesn’t actually make sense anyway. The previous version let you do whatever you wanted with influence markers so it can’t really be called a bug.

Hello the card “Grain Sales to Soviets” is horribly bugged.

If I am the soviets and I play the card “for event, then ops” the US will resolve its turn, but the soviet player won’t get to conduct any ops.

Additionally, my US opponent played Grain Sales during the headline phase, snatched my Muslim Reolution and got to conduct 4 ops, but I didn’t get the effect of Muslim Revolution.

These are two specific incidents, but I have had alot of other problems with this card in addition to this.

I am on Vassal version: 3.2.11 and Module Version: 3.1.2

Two other issues:

With the card Ortega Elected or whatever it’s called, my Soviet opponent was able to coup Haiti, which is not adjacent to Nicaragua as per the card’s stipulations.

With De-Stalinization, my opponent was able to transfer 3 influence into Chile, even though only 2 should be transferrable to any new location.

That’s it! Thanks!

Same as jpschool.

The second time I used Grain sales to soviets it brought the same card I drew turns earlier… which was lone gunman, a discarded event that my opponent didn’t have in his hand.

This bug alone makes a case to ditch vassal for TS :frowning:

Also, in the same game had the same Ortega glitch with Haiti

I found the bug that causes Gain Sales to draw the same card twice and it will be fixed in the next version. And the Ortega Elected and De-stalinization bugs will be fixed as well.

Another Grain Sales bug. In the attached log, in turn 9, US plays “Grain Sales” and is told the Soviets have South Amercian Scoring when in fact Soviets have Africa and Asia scoring.

That’s the same bug.

The game got stuck after the mid-war reshuffle, claiming the draw pile is empty when it’s not. It won’t let us draw cards. I have a copy of the save if you need it.

What I really need is a log file if you have one.

• M.

I forgot about those. No, I don’t have one, sorry. All I can give you is the broken current save.

EDIT: I’ll add that we had hit the Grain Sales bug and it’s possible the game thought that it was still resolving a (duplicate) South Africa Unrest event which we ignored, and it was just at the reshuffled that the game got sufficiently confused as to break.

Vassal 3.2.11 and TS module: 3.1.2

Im not 100% sure since Im new in this game but I think we are allowed to use Ops for both realignment and placing influence like using a 2 Ops card for placing an influence first and then using the second and the last Ops for realignment. And I think we cannot do that in this game.

Will there be any update soon addressing this issue and all the ones mentioned above? I also had my friend coup Italy when I triggered the Nicaragua event as US!!!

I know people do this voluntarily and I do appreciate their hard work. I am just hoping they can find the time and fix these issues. Thanks in advance.

Best I can say is that a release will come out soon.

There is one bug that I thought I fixed but it turns out that it still isn’t fixed (It’s the Grain Sales bug). Sorry I can’t give you an ETA other than to say I’m working on it.

I’m using 3.2.15, module 3.1.2. After the second round, this appeared in the log:

• Discards shuffled back into Draw Pile.
    !!! FATAL ERROR: THERE ARE NO CARDS IN THE DRAW PILE!
    Cards dealt.
    USSR to deal cards.

I don’t know how to deal cards from here. The only option I see is to draw cards, but when I enter a number and attempt to drag into the window that shows my deck, I get an Invalid Move error.

This is my first time using VASSAL other than for a couple of games of D-Day at Omaha Beach (first time playing against an opponent and in an online game).

I just got the same error as well, same behavior exactly.
Does anyone monitor these forums? :slight_smile:

PS Sorry didn’t see the whole first page of this topic.
FWIW I do have a a logfile of Turn 2 up to the point of the Empty Draw Deck Error.

Also Final Scoring is broken. From what I can tell it seems to be basing it on some prior game state, like maybe the beginning of the last turn or something?