Stacking between boards in VASL - Bug:1860944

I’ve had the same problem. But I’m also getting stacking problems that behave the same way that are not between boards. It comes up pretty often. I have not been able to identify what unique condition is causing it. The best workaround seems to be to move the bottom unit out of the hex and then back again. Then try and place the other unit on top of it. Most of the time that works.

Just continuing to re-stack the top unit from various angles and various offsets without first moving the bottom unit doesn’t seem to work.

(Vassal 3.1, Win XP. Java 6 & prior Java version)

Ben,

I do remember doing something with this.

Is this just a problem iwith the VASL/VSQL modules, or have you seen it in other modules?

Can you reproduce it using the latest version of Vassal (which may be difficult for VSQL)?

Brent.

Hi Ben,

Could you please confirm that this is just a bug in VASL?

I have found that I was able to fix this exact bug in VSQL by very slightly changing the grid size on the boards to prevent two hex centres being side by side where boards connect.

This fixed the problem completely in VSQL and should do the same for VASL. If you can confirm the problem is in VASL, I will pass the fix on to Rodney.

Regards,
Brent.

The problem is in a new module I’m creating using Vassal 3.0.17. (Ignore the prior Vassal 3.1 version identification. Sorry for the confusion.)

Hi Hagar,

I would be interested in seeing your module, but I suspect the problem is the same as I fixed in the VSQL module.

It is caused where boards are split down the middle of a set of hexes and the grid sizes being used in the two boards are slightly too small, leaving the hex center in each of the two half hexes that abut at the join.

There are two ways to fix this

1. My favourite - move the split between the boards over so that it does not run down the middle of a column of hexes. For non-geomorhpic boards this is a simple solution. Personally, I always place the map cuts halfway between the hex center and the hex edge, even if the ‘real’ game has them running down the center.

2. Adjust the grid sizes/offsets to make sure that only one of the half hexes along the board join has a hex center. Making the grid size marginally larger on your left hand board should push the hex center on the half hexes on the boards off the edge of the board, without making a difference to gameplay.

Regards,
Brent.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

I suspect that that’s my problem, though I’m getting the problem in the middle of the boards – in addition to between the boards. It’s also between the rows as opposed to columns, though I assume there’d be no difference between row/column interfaces.

I’d have to do a bit of twiddling to try your solution, though I’m currently trying to make sure I have no more of my bugs in the module left.

If you’d still like to look at the module, I can mail it to you, or perhaps go ahead and post it as pre-publication.

That would be a completely different issue that I have never heard of before.

No, same issue.

You should be able to test pretty easily just by bumping up the hex height and width sizes on the grid to push the hex centres at the right-hand and bottom edges off the edge of the board.

I am particularly interested is seeing a log file of the double stacking problem happening in the middle of a board.

Brent.

Messages mailing list

No error is ever generated. Are any log file entries made if no errors occur?

As soon as the situation occurs, would I simply exit Vassal and send the log file?

Thus spake “Hagar”:

Some unusual situations are logged without notifying the user, yes, but
they’re all stack traces from exceptions. There wouldn’t be anything in
the errorLog for a UI bug—unless there was an exception associated with
it.

J.

Messages mailing list

Hi Hagar,

Sorry, I don’t want an errorLog, but a Vassal game log file that shows the problem happening. (i.e. Double stacking happening in a hex that is not a board edge.)

Regards,
Brent.

Messages mailing list

Hi Brent,

this bugh still exists in VASLv5.8.1 under VASSALv3.0.18.

I was able to reliably reproduce the problem:

(Probably not significant:)

1. Grab piece from Pieces dialog and place to the right, next to a 2-unit stack.
    (Start of significant activity:)
  2. Double click 2-unit stack
  3. Select the bottom unit and delete it.
  4. Double click the remaining single unit.
  5. Move the single unit off to the upper right
  6. Move the adjacent grabbed piece onto the now-vacant hex containing the original stack.
  7. Move the original, displaced, single unit in the upper right back onto the stack.
    8 ) The two units are not stacked. The only way you can see the bottom unit is to move the top unit.

(This activity attempts to replace an existing bottom unit with a new, grabbed unit.)

Here is the log file.

This is a bug in VASL. I have passed the fix on to Rodney to be included in the 3.1-beta-3.

Regards,
Brent.

Messages mailing list

Hi Hagar,

I still need a link to your module please.

Thanks,
Brent.

Here is the module. (Might have to verify it worked by my next post, as I’m not sure I can delete failed posts.) Need two more files (map extensions and logfile) – to follow …

File didn’t make it. (Too large) I’ll have to try and post it, and let you know.

Or email it directly to me at

b.easton at exemail.com.au

Brent.

Messages mailing list

Preliminary version now posted at main Vassal site:
vassalengine.org/community/index … ule_id=537

Here’s the logfile that reproduced the problem with this module.

Hi Hagar,

Thanks for all that. The deleting and moving units was a red herring. I have reproduced the problem on a 1 map game with just two units on the board.

Thanks,
Brent.

Messages mailing list

Brent;
I see the same stacking issue at the map splice hex in my VASSAL module.
I did try you suggestion of re-sizing the hex grid to ensure on one hex center dot exists.
This however doesn’t appear to work, stacking issue persists.
Do you have any other suggests to try?