Place Marker

(And possibly “Replace with Other” too, I haven’t checked it for this.)

I have a counter that has a ‘Place Marker’ command on it. That marker is selected from the existing counters in the module (i.e., not defined in the trait itself).

This marker can be in one of a couple different states (layers…). So, I set up the counter, add the Place Marker trait, select the new marker from the menu, use the little preview window to put it in the state I want… great!

But now the default state of the marker in the counter palette has changed to what I selected for the trait. And if I change the state of the marker in the palette then the next time the Place Marker trait is activated, the marker shows up in the new state.

I want to be able to define what state a counter gets pulled in without defining an all-new counter that starts that way.

(Also: Does the ‘Match Current State’ flag in Replace with Other actually work? If I have a counter with a Layer named ‘Crippled’ and I have it Replace with Other on a counter that also has a Layer named ‘Crippled’, the status of the Layer on the first counter doesn’t affect the second one when activated.)

Have you tried the “Keystroke to apply after placement” feature in the Place Marker trait? It seems like that should do want you want, when used in tandem with either a Trigger in the placed marker or a Dynamic Property/Layer (follows expression value) combo.

Ahah! Yes, that does work.

I figure the Trigger stuff is to make sure the piece ends up in the desired state? I find that kind of property testing to be fairly difficult to figure out correctly. The current project that wants this shouldn’t see too much interference from people playing with the particular pieces in the counter palette, thankfully.