Java update won't let VASSAL launch

Same for me yesterday also one Java update.

Java 8, 101th update

Worck before with WIndows 8 no problem.

I use Vassal 3.2.16

Hello.
I had the same problem.
the solution for me was rebooting computer after installing new Java version 8.

note: it took 2reboots for some reason…

Same here, right after Java 8u101 update. Vassal 3.2.16 on Windows 10.

New Java installation causing problem: Version 8 Update 101 (build 1.8.0_101-b13).

I’ve been running Windows 10 for many months and the previous version of Java with no problems including yesterday. This morning I installed the new Java update per Oracle’s prompt. When I attempted to launch VASSAL is when I got the error message.

Problem solved!

Windows 10. Java Runtime Environment 8 Update 101.1

I noticed that my JRE was not 64 bits and that the Update 102 was available (manual download only).

I’m unable though to check in Firefox the Java plug-in.

I updated Java 8 on Mac OS X 10.11.6 to Update 110 build 13 and no problem with VASSAL 3.2.16.

OK, I solved the problem by uninstalling an old Java lying around, and also removing its key in the Registry.

I’m still having the problem

Windows 7 - Home Premium

Java 8 Update 101

Help!!!

Check whether you still have an older version of java installed. If so, remove it. If not, check whether an older version of Java left stale keys in the registry. If so, remove those. The problem is one of those two things.

Check whether you still have an old version of Java installed. The Java installer on Windows is horrible about leaving old major versions installed, which can prevent the newer major version from working. Remove any old versions you find.

Hi Joel,

I started having other problems and ended up getting a new PC. The old one had several years on it.

Jim

Same here.
Running Win7 Home Premium, 32-bit.
Java Version 8 Update 101.
No old versions of Java.

If you’re still having a problem after verifying that you have no older versions of Java installed, then you need to check the registry for stale keys leftover from the previous version of Java, and remove those.

Neither of these work. I check for older versions of java and there are none on my machine. I ran a complete registry scan and clean all old registry files, rebooted and get the same error.

OK, the way I fixed this was to completely uninstall Java. Then run a registry cleaner and clean out the java entries that it found. Then I rebooted. Then reinstalled the latest Java, rebooted, and then ran Vassal and it worked.

I let the online Java installer install the 1.8 101 update and remove the previous version. Then I experienced this issue.

The machine involved is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I installed the 64-bit Java 1.8 101 update using the offline Java installer and this resolved the issue for me. It appears the online Java installer only installs 32-bit and removes both the old 32-bit and the old 64-bit Java.

Thank you, JamesPaul. I followed your instructions and resolved the issue on my computer. Mine uses Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.

Yet, I’m running Win7 Home Premium 32-bit, and Vassal isn’t working.
(Also, I’m not touching anything having to do with the registry, as that level of sorcery is beyond my tech ability.)

The latest Java update killed Vassal:

Windows 10 Pro

Java 8 Update 101

Thus spake RobS:

“JamesPaul” wrote:

I installed the 64-bit Java 1.8 101 update using the offline Java
installer and this resolved the issue for me. It appears the online
Java installer only installs 32-bit and removes both the old 32-bit
and the old 64-bit Java.

Yet, I’m running Win7 Home Premium 32-bit, and Vassal isn’t working.
(Also, I’m not touching anything having to do with the registry, as that
level of sorcery is beyond my tech ability.)

You can’t run 64-bit Java on a 32-bit system. If the installer even
lets you install it, that’s a serious flaw.

J.