everything is tiny

e need the following information:

• macbook pro (couldn’t figure out how to find more than that but if necessary I can keep looking)
  • windows 10
  • CPU knowledge about computers sucks idk what you mean by this
  • Memory 16gb
  • Video Card again idk how to find this
  • Vassal version. (Go to Help and select About VASSAL) newest unless it updated recently I downloaded it like 2 weeks ago maybe less
  • Java version. 8 update 101
  • Vassal module name and version idt it applies but it was the x-wing one

all the words are tiny as is everything else not sure why. even in the screen when you first launch vassal

youtube.com/watch?v=1a3sf36K1mI

Your problem is high DPI. Apparently Vassal doesn’t know how to display properly if you are using a high resolution monitor.

Sorry don’t know how to solve it. I’ve quitted using vassal because of this.

:confused:

I just purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro Laptop. I have the same problem, everything is tiny and unreadable. Nothing I tried was able to make it larger. Even adjusting the display resolution didn’t help.

Hopefully someone will come up with a solution with the next version of VASSAL, I’m just starting to get into using it to play my games, but right now, NO JOY.

I don’t suppose anyone has figured out how to fix this yet?

Doesn’t look like anyone cares or is even monitoring this site.

Thus spake JAnderson:

Doesn’t look like anyone cares or is even monitoring this site.

That’s not the case at all. I read every single post. But (1) I
don’t have a solution for this problem presently, and (2) I won’t
have any time to even begin looking into it for several weeks, if
not a few months. If someone submits a patch before then, I’ll look
at it.

J.

Thanks for the reply. That was all I (we) need, really. Just an acknowledgement by a moderator that the posts were being read. Understand you may not have an answer, yet, but will at least look at it.

As an aside, on the Consimworld VASSAL Blog, someone gave me a possible solution, writing a command to the Java folder. I tried it but didn’t work, or maybe I didn’t do it right.

talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6f15c/8574

There’s some very good news coming soon for Windows 10 users at least. For the upcoming “Creators Update” a new compatibility mode option has been added that works beautifully with Swing-based Java apps. If you’re part of the Windows Insider program, you can get this now. If not, you can get the update around Feb 6, 2017, give or take a few days based on rollout logistics. The feature is available for build 15002 and later.

To use the setting for VASSAL:

1. Right click on the VASSAL icon, then click More → Open File Location, which opens a file explorer window containing the actual VASSAL shortcut.
  2. Right click on the shortcut, then click Properties from the context menu.
  3. In the properties window click the Compatibility tab.
  4. Check the box for “Override high DPI scaling behavior”
  5. In the Scaling performed by drop down list, select “System.”
  6. Save the settings and launch VASSAL.
  7. Enjoy the nice legible app we all know and love.

Cheers!

Dave

Hey Dave
Thanks for the info. I didn’t know there was another, probably huge, update coming for win 10. Slows my internet for days!

I did find a way to get Vassal to work on hidpi (3840 x 2160) for now. The sequence is:

Right click on Vassal desktop icon and select properties
Set Run: to Normal window
Then go to Compatability tab and set compatability to run in Windows 8
and check the box to disable display on hidpi settings
Apply and OK

That is permanant and the following has to happen each time before running Vassal

Right click on the desktop and choose Display Settings
On the lower centerish area choose Advanced Display Settings
change to 1600 x 900 Apply and OK

When done with Vassal return to Display Settings and set them to what you want normally.

This solved it for me and I can use Vassal again.

Jeff

Hooray!!

After having tried everything I decided to sign up for windows insider, just to be able to try Dave’s (drchld) solution. With Preview Build 15048 it works like a charm!! I can use vassal again with my surface!! Thanks a lot for the tip!

I was able to change the font size of the chat window by using the VAssal editor
Lots of other things are small, but that at least worked

I laugh every time this thread is bumped. :smiley:

Anyway, I hope you folks are able to resolve the issue.

Perfect fix. Thanks Dave.