Trying to update pre defined setup.

VASSAL v 3.2.17
Module Pursuit of Glory 1.0.6

My objective was to slightly modify v1.0.6 by allowing ‘specific card selection’ on AP draw deck and CP draw deck. I edited the module and saved it as v1.0.7. Obviously the pre defined set ups need updating in the module.

Opened v1.0.6 selected tools>export game pieces saved as gamepieceinfo.vsav on desktop

Extracted the vsav pre defined setup file from v1.0.6 which was named campaign4.vsav by unzipping the v1.0.6 module. Saved this on desktop.

Switched to module 1.0.7 selected tools>import and imported gamepieceinfo.vsav which correctly identified the version as 1.0.6

Chose campaign4.vsav to update and completed the update.

Tried to load campaign4.vsav up in v1.0.7 from the desktop as new save, which I did do. Once it was loaded into 1.0.7 changes had still not taken place.

Where am I going wrong?

No where.

Unfortunately, the save game updater only updates piece definitions, not Deck definitions.

Rgds.

So basically, I need to rebuild the starting position from scratch? I kind of suspected this would be the case.

yep

I’m revamping this post because I’ve stumbled upon the same issue:

I’ve developed a game modlue and started building scenarios. No problem in updating existing game pieces (on previously saved files).
But if I add card decks in a separate map board I cannot see them in older vsav files. (“refresh savegame” option is useless).

I’ve found this post from 2017 saying “the save game updater only updates piece definitions, not Deck definitions”, is it still the same with latest Vassal versions in 2023?

I’m asking this again because I’ve already setup nearly 320 scenarios…
Thank you in advance for your help.

Thankfully no, but Deck refreshing is relatively new and likely not had a lot of real world use. I have successfully used it many times for simple deck property updates but to my limited recollection moving decks around can be a bit fraught.

Adding decks to new maps, I am not sure that even needs the refresher - but either way, new decks will be empty in existing scenarios (just like At-Start-Stacks would be). You’d need to do something to populate them with your cards.

@g1ul10 has been asking similar questions recently about new deck issues, guess you’ve seen my replies there and they haven’t helped ?

Thank you Mark for your fast reply.
I had a look at the post from @g1ul10 and yes, I had similar issue.
I do have Vassal 3.6.11 but in “Refresh counter” box I’m missing the two bottom options.
I can only see 6 check boxes (and not 8).

If you click on the Refresh Decks option, the other 2 options should appear. Did you try that already?

I’m even ashamed that I asked… :man_facepalming:

This is the log result.

• 86 Decks refreshed
  • 0 Decks deletable (exist in current game but not in module)
  • 16 Decks added

But inside deck board I cannot even see the empty deck profile.

Maybe I should try the Startup Global Key to populete them?
I’ve also added some cards to existing decks, but they are not showing over there (I do believe it’s the same issue).

Can’t be right that you don’t see the outline. Did you save and re-load the module? If not, try that and then see what the Pre-Def Scenario decks look like.

The key point is - yes, you will need to populate the decks in your old pre-defined scenarios. An SGKC is one way to do it, with obviously some means to prevent doing that more than once or for new scenarios.

Did it.
Inside vmod I can see the updated date/time for the vsav file…

But I can only see blank boards (without deck profile line) if I reload the same scenario.
Even if I completely colse Vassal and reload it.