Can you place more than one hexgrid on a mapboard?

I’ve already had some misfortunes trying to place a hexgrid on a map and having it work with a multi-zone grid.

For one, the “up is down” order of the attributes list tripped me up, and then I found it just didn’t work (at some point, a hex grid inside a zone did not report movement in the text buffer), so I had to take a different approach.

So, before I try my next (mis)adventure in this area, I thought I’d pose some questions here.

1. Can you describe a hex grid within a Zone of a multi-zone grid, andnot have the grid have effect outside the zone you draw?
  2. Is it possible to have more than one hex grid on a Map, each drawn within its own (non-overlapping) Zone? And, will both of the grids report proper locations and zone names in the text buffer, if otherwise properly set up to?

Yes. Make sure you define the grids within the zone and do not specify a background grid at the board level. Or at least, make sure you do not check the ‘Use board’s grid’ option in the zone.

Yes, it certainly is, most of my modules have sub-grids defined within map zones to handle on-map tracks and unit boxes. Make sure you change the Location Format of the Zone to include $gridLocation$ rather than the default $name$. This causes any movement report to include the Grid Location generated by the enclosed grid, rather than the name of the Zone.

Indeed, and thanks. I pushed on and discovered all this during the afternoon. Provided the zones don’t overlap, you CAN get that effect. Nice to know. Previously I was having no luck, but come to find that was because I was not editing the grid location at the Zone level, but the Grid level.

If the Zones do overlap, then the zone that is recorded first in the
grid will take precedence.

On 11/09/2017 2:24 PM, Stiglr via messages wrote:

Indeed, and thanks. I pushed on and discovered all this during the
afternoon. Provided the zones don’t overlap, you CAN get that effect.
Nice to know. Previously I was having no luck, but come to find that
was because I was not editing the grid location at the Zone level, but
the Grid level.

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
Western Sydney University
Email: b.easton@exemail.com.au

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages