A House Divided - some ideas

A friend and I are doing a PBEM game of “A House Divided” and noticed that it was missing some pieces and features:
a) A Command Track in the Battlefield - when playing with the advanced rules, both players need to keep track of their available commands. There is a command track in the Player Aid 2 tab but you can’t modify it by putting counters and pieces on it, rendering it useless. As commands are used while resolving battles, having them on the battlefield makes sense. There are tracks on the battles for keeping track of battle days and rounds, but not commands.

b) Markers for River crossings - We noticed that there are no markers for river crossings. As battles involving rivers often have some effected by the rivers and some not, river crossing markers would be helpful.

c) Confederate Naval Options - There are some optional rules for Confederate Naval Options and Foreign intervention. Having a track on the Map for these (where you could put standard command markers to indicate when they are in effect) would be useful.

d) Having an “available Marches” track on the Map would be useful, although not essential.

Anyway, as a Newbie to Vassal, I have no idea of how to modify a module, but would be willing to try if someone can point to the appropriate documentation and source code.

I actually learned how to modify Vassal and added all of these features. I gave it to my current opponent for our private use, but what do I do with it after that? Also, I used the graphics from Alan Emrich’s proposed 4th edition counters from his Special Living Edition 3.1 rule package that was put out in 2006. He specifically copyrighted the rules themselves, but not the play aids and the proposed counters. Is this a problem? I can work up my own graphics if needed. Also, the current AHD module seems to use his graphics, so there may have been an agreement in the past. Since Alan Emrich’s gaming site seems to have disappeared, I can’t ask him for permission.

I contacted Mr. Emrich and received his permission.