Ribbon spread cards

I want to be able to place cards so that part of the information on the lower card is visible, but some is covered up. What I’m trying to simulate is sliding one card UNDER another and PARTIALLY so that only one edge of the lower card is visible. And then I want to be able to slide more cards so that the edge of each one is only visible, essentially creating a ribbon spread in an arbitrary direction by adding cards randomly to the bottom of the spread.

I didn’t find anything like this in searching the forums, but if you can point me to where it’s discussed, or a game module with this feature, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

You may be able to set the overlap of cards in a stack.

On Mon, May 28, 2018, 4:55 AM rgranville rgranville@verizon.net wrote:

I want to be able to place cards so that part of the information on the
lower card is visible, but some is covered up. What I’m trying to
simulate is sliding one card UNDER another and PARTIALLY so that only
one edge of the lower card is visible. And then I want to be able to
slide more cards so that the edge of each one is only visible,
essentially creating a ribbon spread in an arbitrary direction by adding
cards randomly to the bottom of the spread.

I didn’t find anything like this in searching the forums, but if you can
point me to where it’s discussed, or a game module with this feature,
I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

Read this topic online here:
Ribbon spread cards

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

That’s possible, yes…but between this post and his post on the Facebook group, I understand that he desires to have the ability to “fan” the cards in variable directions (up, down, left, right) in the same game. With stacking options you can accomplish the fan spread you want in one direction at the map level, but that pretty much hard-codes it–this isn’t a setting accessible in-game to the user, nor are there methods to change the horizontal/vertical offsets programmatically.

JoelCFC25 is correct. I have cards with information on the top edge of the card, different information on the left, and still more on the bottom edge. Upon obtaining a card, a player has to decide which edge he wants to have displayed and use for the remainder of the game. He slides the card under a larger card so that only the desired edge is exposed. The covered edges are “lost” for the remainder of the game. easy to do with physical cards - not so much with Vassal.

I’ve pretty much accepted the fact that I’m going to have to do this with layers. I’m going to make a transparent base, and a layer for each edge. This way, a player can turn off the layer/edges he doesn’t want, leaving transparent all but the edge to be exposed. Then it doesn’t matter which card is on top, since the irrelevant parts are transparent.