Illegal reflective access warning

• Model
  • Operating System
  • CPU
  • Memory
  • Video Card
  • Vassal version. (Go to Help and select About VASSAL)
  • Java version. Get it here
  • Vassal module name and version (If applicable. If it’s not a module available from the VASSAL module list, then please include a link so we can download it ourselves.)
  • Exactly what steps are required to reproduce your problem. If you are reporting on a problem that you can’t reproduce consistently, include as much information as possible about what you were doing right before the error occurred.

Example:

I’m trying to run VASSAL via X forwarding from my raspberry pi (headless). I ssh -Y into the pi and type ‘xeyes’ and that works; I ssh -Y into the machine and type ./VASSAL.sh and get the following:

peterjh@alarm ~/local/VASSAL-3.2.17 $ ./VASSAL.sh
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by VASSAL.tools.image.ImageIOImageLoader (file:/home/peterjh/local/VASSAL-3.2.17/lib/Vengine.jar) to field sun.java2d.cmm.ProfileDeferralMgr.deferring
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of VASSAL.tools.image.ImageIOImageLoader
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

NB: I have NOT connected the pi to a monitor and tried launching VASSAL via X locally.

Here’s the specs:

Model: Raspberry Pi (I forget the model)
CPU: ARM Cortex-A53
Memory: 928216 kB
Video:
VASSAL: 3.2.17
Java: java-10-openjdk
Module:

1. Please include the first 10 lines of your VASSAL log file, do not cut them out and just post the error message.

I’m not sure where the VASSAL log file might be; none was created.

1. If at all possible, please include a log file demonstrating the problem. The people assisting you don not, in general, know your module and it can waste significant amounts of time trying to reproduce the problem.

Please ignore this post. It is duplicated and I didn’t meant o hit send. My other post is better.

I am getting the same error message when I start up Vassal in Linux.

Here are my specs:
Computer: Dell XPS 8500
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 1GB DDR3
Java: Openjdk 10.0.1
Vassal: 3.2.17
Vassal Modules producing error: Talavera_&_Vimeiro_v0.6.vmod &
The_Sun_of_Austerlitz_mod_0.0.1-v3.2.2.vmod (probably any module will produce the error on my machine, but I thought two examples were enough to start with)

This is reported in terminal screen when the Vassal engine starts up, before I can try to load a module:

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by VASSAL.tools.image.ImageIOImageLoader (file:/home/mitch/Public/Vassal/Vassal%20Engine/lib/Vengine.jar) to field sun.java2d.cmm.ProfileDeferralMgr.deferring
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of VASSAL.tools.image.ImageIOImageLoader
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Vassal starts up in spite of the error. Here is the complete error log opening Vassal and before I try to load a game module:
2018-08-02 18:35:33,454 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Starting
2018-08-02 18:35:33,455 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - OS Linux 4.15.0-29-generic
2018-08-02 18:35:33,456 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Java version 10.0.1
2018-08-02 18:35:33,456 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - VASSAL version 3.2.17
2018-08-02 18:35:35,001 [0-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager - Manager

After I tried to open a module I get an “Uncaught Exception” dialog box, asking me to send a report of the bug to the Vassal developers. Unfortunately the error box fails to send you the information about this bug. After attempting to send the report, the dialog box reports it failed and asks me to report the bug through this forum.

I have attached a text file showing the error logs I get when I try to open each of the two named modules.

I hope you are able to help with this bug. I had Microsoft’s forced Windows 10 updates trash two of my computers at home this spring. I desperately want to move away from Microsoft’s products. Being able to run Vassal in Linux is important in my efforts to slip away from Microsoft.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to give me.

Mitch King

Try it with OpenJDK Java 8 instead of 10.
VASSAL runs fine for me on Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04
OP: How is the keyboard and mouse lag when running VASSAL via X-forwarding from your pi?

Thanks, that did the trick for me.

Mitch King