Problem loading one module

I recently had my laptop crap out on me and after purchasing a new laptop I’m unable to load one of the Vassal modules I played on my old PC. My java is updated, Vassal is the newest version (same as my old laptop), I cleared the tile cache, and upped the memory in the importer. When I try to open the module I get the Tiling Image World Map small window, that stops around 9%, and shortly after the Welcome window opens and then nothing. The module is being used by several people and a couple of us are having the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas on why this happens or how to fix it? I’m not the most computer savvy guy on the planet…

Adjusting this setting won’t do anything. It affects the process of importing ADC2 modules into VASSAL only.

You need to have the module in question open first before you can get access to the min/max Java heap settings for it. Obviously this is a problem if the tiling is crashing before you can even get it open. You can edit the module preferences file directly if you know where to find it and have a text editor handy. Look in: C:\Users[i]your username here[/i]\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\prefs

The module in question is for Ein Wilt im Krieg game. It was made by one of our opponents. We have had no problem with it until Dan got a new computer and could not open the module. The game has been on hold for a while. When he tries to load saved game the counters appear but no map. Would this be something with the module itself or Dan’s new computer.

If even one person can load it successfully, that means it’s not the module. It might be useful to know what version of Java, how much system RAM each player has on their computer, and what their VASSAL heap settings are for this module. Usually if tiling is failing it’s a memory issue of some sort.

Hi Joel

My computer has 12 gig of RAM, the Vassal heap min/max is 512/1024, and Java is up to date. I have opened 20 plus modules and so far and this is the only module that won’t open. There is one other player that is having the same problem with the module also. The module is listed as 27000KB and I can open modules triple that size without a problem. Although as I mentioned I’m not a computer guy…

Thus spake BooBoo1304622:

Hi Joel

My computer has 12 gig of RAM, the Vassal heap min/max is 512/1024, and
Java is up to date. I have opened 20 plus modules and so far and this
is the only module that won’t open. There is one other player that is
having the same problem with the module also. The module is listed as
27000KB and I can open modules triple that size without a problem.
Although as I mentioned I’m not a computer guy…

Size of the module in bytes bears little relation to the size in pixels
of the images contained inside the module. The latter is what matters for
image tiling.

It would be helpful for troubleshooting if we could have access to the
module in question.

J.

Hi Joel,

Been busy with work the last two days. What email do I send it to and I will get it to you tonight?

Thanks for the help!!

Dan

Thus spake BooBoo1304622:

Hi Joel,

Been busy with work the last two days. What email do I send it to and I
will get it to you tonight?

Thanks for the help!!

Dan

uckelman@nomic.net

J.

Joel,

Let me know if you get the link. I couldn’t attach it to an email due to the size of the module.

Dan

I got the problem figured out. I needed to be running the 64 bit version of Java. Once I downloaded that the module opened fine.

Thanks for all the help!!