How do you do the map?

I have played around with various games modifying counters.
I have an old SPI game I would like to try.
Have a pretty good idea on how to do the counters & charts
But no clue on how to do the maps.

the game I have in question is Napoleon’s last battles - which is really like 4 maps.
How do I do the maps?

If you mean how do you add a map to the game module, scan the map and create a .JPG or .PNG.

In the Vassal editor, go to the [Map Window], then right-click [Map Boards] and “Add Board”. In the properties for that board, you’ll see a button to select a board image. Walla!

Also, you may want to check out the Module Library here on the site

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Modules

Got to the “N” section and it’s loaded with modules centered around Napolean. You may be trying to put together a module that’s already built.

Voila

Thank you for the reply.
I have looked in the modules, but don’t see it. Here is the game on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1910563/napoleons-last-battles
As you can see it is a large map -
Can you scan it in pieces and put them together?

Scanning the map is sections and fitting them together is probably what you’ll need to do. Here’s a note on that in the Vassal FAQs.

vassalengine.org/wiki/Creati … e_image.3F

NLB is an SPI game, so if a module exists, if won’t be found on the vassalengine website.
See vassalengine.org/wiki/SPI_Game_Titles

As a quad game I’d scan each of the four maps to its own image file.
Add each image as a Board under the Main Map component in VASSAL.
In the Main Map component properties, check “Can contain multiple maps”
After saving the module and loading it for play, you will be prompted to select the map.
For multi-map scenarios, you add a row and add a column to the layout, selecting a board for each quadrant.

As for scanning, check your local copy and office supply stores to see if they offer large format scanning. (I’ve seen it called engineering scan or blueprint scan.) My local Staples office supply store does large scans for $1.90 each – I bring in my maps and a flash drive to save the images.

Since I don’t intend to reprint these images to paper, 300 dpi is sufficient for my needs, saved as tiff or pdf. Rescale as desired in your graphics application – save vmod images as jpg or png – each board image has to be cropped precisely (with the same pixel dimensions) so it aligns correctly when displayed in the Main Map row and column layout.

Just now saw your reply. Thanks, I’ll give it a try

[quote=“rdmorss”]
NLB is an SPI game, so if a module exists, if won’t be found on the vassalengine website.
See vassalengine.org/wiki/SPI_Game_Titles

well that sucks

If you mean how do you add a map to the game module, scan the map and create a .JPG or .PNG.
In the Vassal editor, go to the [Map Window], then right-click [Map Boards] and “Add Board”. In the properties for that board, you’ll see a button to select a board image. Walla!

Except that when I try this, there is no [Map Boards] button to click.