How to Setup a Flat Top Scenario

Hi there

I am an “older” gamer who has tired of computer war games and is rediscovering the delights of my old Avalon Hill board games. At the same time I discovered VASSAL and as a result have been feeling my way back into it with ASL and the VASL module…all that just to say that I am a bit of a newbie at this VASSAL thing, but am learning.

This weekend I noticed a module for Flat Top which I downloaded and tried to set up scenario one. The problem I need help with is as follows:

I open the Flat Top module and choose New Offline Game. Having selected scenario 1 it gives me the option to be the Allies or the Japanese. So I select the Allies but that only then allows access to the Allied Air Ops charts, counters etc. How would the Japanese opponent then go about setting up as the relevant Japanese menu items are grayed out. I tried using the “Observer” option but then the menu items for both sides are grayed out.

Could anybody assist me with how to do the initial set up?

Of course there is always the possibility that the module doesn’t actually work - in which case could somebody confirm that is the case.

The reason I am rather keen to use VASSAL is that I still have all the FT rules, counters, charts etc…but my board was destroyed at some point in one of many moves over the last 30+ years and I thought that the VASSAL FT module might come to my rescue

Oh yes - using the FLTv30b01 module

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My story is much like yours…rediscovered War and Peace and Panzer Blitz this past year…I also had a tough time with vassal until after many hours of YouTube…pick a side, set up, and then click a resign button if it has it…I will check for you shortly

Just checked on my game. Actually it is the “Retire” Button…then you select the side you want. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for taking the time to check and reply…much appreciated. Now if I can just figure out those rules again :slight_smile: