java - firefox incompatibility

got a new computer (win7)

both, java & firefox support state they no longer play with each other (NPAPI no longer supported), so vassal will not install with firefox.

any suggestions how I might still manage to install vassal?
(without switching browsers, which I’m unwilling to do)

thanks a caboodle!

helm

Vassal has nothing to do with Firefox. You need to install a JRE, not a Java browser plugin, which is possible from any browser (all you need to do is download the installer and run it). Browse to www.java.com and click the red button to pick an appropriate version. It should suggest version 8 update 201 or thereabouts.

IIRC the vassal installer on Windows will even try to download this for you, but it might not work very well. It’s easier just to take care of it first.

I would strongly discourage allowing the VASSAL installer package to try and get Java for you. It has been known to get the wrong version for one’s OS architecture (e.g., running 64-bit Windows and letting the installer try and automagically get Java you could end up with 32-bit Java, which you do not want).

Thus spake helm:

got a new computer (win7)

both, java & firefox support state they no longer play with each other
(NPAPI no longer supported), so vassal will not install with firefox.

This is referring to the Java browser plugin, not the Java Runtime
Environment. VASSAL doesn’t use the Java browser plugin. You should
have no problem installing any JRE you want alongside Firefox.

J.

thanks everyone!
strangely, when I go to java.com, I see only 1 download option (“free java download”) and when I click it, it gives me the msg that “We have detected you are using the 64-bit version of Firefox which will not run the Java plugin from this browser”.
and when I click on “show all java downloads”, I don’t see JRE anywhere - I’m unable to find it on the java website.
I did however find "Java SE Runtime Environment 8u201 & 8u202 on oracle.com
in fact they have more options than I know what to do with:
Windows x86 Online 1.87 MB jre-8u201(2)-windows-i586-iftw.exe
Windows x86 Offline 63.53 MB jre-8u201(2)-windows-i586.exe
Windows x86 66.51 MB jre-8u201(2)-windows-i586.tar.gz
Windows x64 71.44 MB jre-8u201(2)-windows-x64.exe
Windows x64 71.29 MB jre-8u201(2)-windows-x64.tar.gz

which one should I use? (I have win7 prof., SP1, 64bit OS)

thanks again!

Yep, that = JRE

This is the one.

gracias! :slight_smile:
(does it make any difference whether I install “8u201” or “8u202”?)

No.