Newbie - Vassal Hex Grid Not Overlaying Accurately

My very first attempt at creating a module - starting with hopefully and easy one - OST Vol II S1 - The Lost Boys

Been playing with various hex widths and heights - but as attached images reveal, grid is not quite aligned to board’s grid.

Any ideas as to how to fix? Do I simply keep playing with the hex dimensions? If that is the case, I will certainly do so.

Thanks for any feedback, any tricks of the trade or simply telling me to carry on with my micro adjustments to hex dimensions in the properties.

John

It’s hard to tell if hex grid and board are misaligned.
What you do with hexgrid is to have middle hexes align perfectly with the grid and only then you tinker with hex width / height to fix discrepancies that occur on sides of the board.

Thanks. I will make a working copy - and redo focusing on the middle hexes first. I probably missed a step in the Guide.

I had assumed that since the LOS thread was not going thru the board hex center, it was going thru the hex overlay grid centers - and thus, concluded there was an issue. I also captured screen shots with the overlay hex lines and hex centers displayed. The vertical differences seemed to grow slightly as I reviewed the overlay left to right, leading me to assume the hex width needed to be adjusted.

I will keep working at it as I’d like to learn how to do this.

Take care !!!

Note that I have come across more than 1 game where the hex grid printed on the map was NOT regular and/or the centre dots not in the centre of the hexes. In one case, this changed across the map and made it impossible to fit a single grid to the entire map…

I find it easiest to turn on hex grid drawing in red and use the GUI grid adjustment tool using the methodology at http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Creating_Modules#How_do_I_align_the_Vassal_hex_grid_with_my_scanned_mapsheet.3F

Thank you - after playing a lot more with the grid overlay - as described and instructed in the Designer’s Guide, I definitely wonder if the source image is “warped” in some way - possibly as you describe.

I can get close but not exact.

I will review your citation and see if that helps me. I really appreciate the referral !!!

The concern is whether the LOS Thread will be accurate - and I guess if “off”, players simply need to be flexible to adjust as they deem appropriate.

Take care.

Check out Joel Toppen’s excellent video tutorials on YouTube. I can’t remember the one that deals with this but it is around No. 7.

Cheers,
Mike