Is it possible for someone with no real skill to edit in a s

There is a module for Victory Roads and I hope to use it for a solo campaign. As far as I can tell that’s not currently possible. When starting a game I can choose between , Soviet and German. In any of those modes it is not possible to manipulate certain pieces (there are chits that need to be unmasked for each side). There is also no function in the drop down menu to Switch Sides. So AFAICT it’s impossible to solo as even with a saved game I can only remain on the side I started as.

So my question is, would it be reasonably possible for me (I have zero programming knowledge or skill) to learn enough to edit this module so that there is either other a solo position, or so that all pieces are manipulat-able by all sides, or so that switching sides is possible? If so can you point me in the direction of my starting point?

It occurs to me that I may have thought to ask first, or also, is there a way to work around this problem?

Thanks very much for any help,

Chris
Pieces

[quote=“fatgreta”]
There is a module for Victory Roads and I hope to use it for a solo campaign. As far as I can tell that’s not currently possible. When starting a game I can choose between , Soviet and German. In any of those modes it is not possible to manipulate certain pieces (there are chits that need to be unmasked for each side). There is also no function in the drop down menu to Switch Sides. So AFAICT it’s impossible to solo as even with a saved game I can only remain on the side I started as.

So my question is, would it be reasonably possible for me (I have zero programming knowledge or skill) to learn enough to edit this module so that there is either other a solo position, or so that all pieces are manipulat-able by all sides, or so that switching sides is possible? If so can you point me in the direction of my starting point?

It occurs to me that I may have thought to ask first, or also, is there a way to work around this problem?

Thanks very much for any help,

Chris

There is no programming skill required to make or edit VASSAL modules. But if you’re starting from no knowledge at all, you’ll probably need to pore over documentation for awhile–or look up Joel Toppen’s Youtube video series on VASSAL module editing.

Adding another defined player side is very quick and easy. You double-click things in the VASSAL editor to get their properties and modify them. For this, it’s conveniently identified as “Definition of Player Sides”. Just add a new one. Finding the pieces that can only be masked by a single side might take awhile, but modify the Mask trait on those when you find them. It should be fairly clear what to do, but read the Help if you’re not sure.

The biggest thing is that making these changes will not be sufficient to get things to work with the existing pre-defined setups. You’d have to load each of these in turn after having made your edits and saved the module, then use Tools → Refresh counters and save the setups again. Or you just build new pre-defined setups for whatever the game needs. I’m not familiar with the game so I have no idea if this is a huge undertaking or not.

Looks to me like there’s a button in the main toolbar labeled “Retire”. That’s how you switch sides.

Oh damn, I totally missed the retire button. That should do the trick. In any case thanks for such a detailed reply, I appreciate you taking the time for all that.