Java Download Failed:/TIMEOUT 30000

Trying to install Vassal after a new hard drive installation, I got this message. It came after a notification that I needed a JRE and the installer would find one. Any idea what the problem is or how I can solve it? Manual search for a JRE perhaps?

Thanks,

Chris

The “automatically retrieve Java” portion of the installer has not worked for several years, and even when it did it could not reliably fetch the correct version for one’s system architecture (i.e., 32-bit Java vs 64-bit Java).

The foolproof method is to retrieve Java on your own first, install it, and then install VASSAL.

Note that at the present time, there is no fully-released VASSAL version that will run in anything newer than Java 8. Once the test builds seem like they’re panning out that will probably change, but I would strongly recommend using Java 8 for the time being.

Thanks Joel. SHould I choose Windows 86 or 64? Does it matter?

Yes, it matters.

Windows x86 = for 32-bit Windows
Windows x64 = for 64-bit Windows

The place where you determine this varies depending on which version of Windows you have. For example, in Windows 10 you go to Settings → System → About. If you have a version of Windows that is less than a handful of years old it’s highly likely that you have a 64-bit system. Still, you should verify.

Thus spake JoelCFC25 via messages:

The “automatically retrieve Java” portion of the installer has not
worked for several years, and even when it did it could not reliably
fetch the correct version for one’s system architecture (i.e., 32-bit
Java vs 64-bit Java).

I’m in the process of removing the Java downloader from the Windows
installer right now, as it appears that java.com doesn’t have any
downloads for anything after Java 8.

J.

J.

I just got a new computer and can not download Vassel or modules. I have Java and have uninstalled and reinstalled versions of it back to 1.6 but none of them have worked to open Vassal or OCS modules. Any ideas for me to try?
Doug

Thus spake bauerdb via messages:

I just got a new computer and can not download Vassel or modules. I
have Java and have uninstalled and reinstalled versions of it back to
1.6 but none of them have worked to open Vassal or OCS modules. Any
ideas for me to try?
Doug

What happens if you install Java 8 and then install VASSAL 3.2.17?
(Be specific about any error messages you see.)

J.

Also, the post was silent on what kind of computer and operating system is involved. If it’s the latest version of MacOS, there might be fairly aggressive software security “features” in place preventing VASSAL from running.

Thus spake JoelCFC25 via messages:

Also, the post was silent on what kind of computer and operating system
is involved. If it’s the latest version of MacOS, there might be fairly
aggressive software security “features” in place preventing VASSAL from
running.

It has to be Windows, because the subject quotes an error message from
our Windows installer.

J.

I have a HP Pavilion with Windows 10 home. When I download Vassel I am now trying the custom method and skip the Java download check box because it gives the failure box. With the custom method I do get the vassal icon and also the icon on my saved games but they will not open. When I try to download the Case Blue module I get the message:
C:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\caseblue
Application Not Found.
Doug

When I try to download the Case Blue module I get the message:
C:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\caseblue
Application Not Found.

Could you describe this in more detail? Please give the steps you’re
taking and indicate what is producing that message.

J.

I download Vassal using the custom option and uncheck the down load JRE box. If I use the automatic method or leave the box checked I give the Java failed message.
I then open Vassal and the To Start Playing message comes up with a limk to Vassal.
I download the Case Blue module and when I open it there is a red circle X with the message above saying Application Not Found.
Doug

I download the Case Blue module and when I open it there is a red circle
X with the message above saying Application Not Found.

This is the point on which I need more detail. How exactly are you opening
the module? Describe the steps you are taking to do this.

J.

I open it by clicking on it or double clicking on it or by going to the file and trying to open it. At that point it says open with what app and the Vassal app is not present. So even though the Vassel icon is on the desktop, it is not available to open the module.
Thank you.
Doug

I open it by clicking on it or double clicking on it or by going to the
file and trying to open it. At that point it says open with what app
and the Vassal app is not present. So even though the Vassel icon is on
the desktop, it is not available to open the module.
Thank you.
Doug

Ok. Which version of the Case Blue module? What’s the filename of the
modulue you downloaded?

J.

Success, I got it to work by opening in the desktop box instead of double clicking on the icon. What ever works! Thank you for your help and concern.
Doug

A year or two back, I tried to update Java and things went wrong on my Windows PC. I’m running Win 10 as an update over a Win 7 OS. Anyway, I deleted Java to try an install from scratch, but it wouldn’t install! Java 8’s install routine always crashed after the “Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer?” stage.

I had no Java (and therefore no Vassal) from then until just now! How did I get Java to install this time? I stopped trying to install Java SE 8, and I downloaded Java SE 6 instead. It installed without any problems! Then I tried to install Vassal again: it installed and opened perfectly! My Vassal Modules folder was still in place, so the modules showed up as if there had never been a problem.

Here is the title of the exe file I downloaded jre-6u45-windows-x64