Vassal under Apple Catalina

Hello Generals!

Anyone on Mac with the new OS Catalina?
Vassal is OK but each time I have to re-open the CCN modules and extensions! I can play but the day after Vassal is empty again.
It looks like Vassal cannot remember the modules & Extensions between two computer sessions?

Any Idea someone? TY by advance - GG

I just purchased an iMac and it arrived last Friday, I updated to Catalina on Monday and today just got around to installing VASSAL.

I am running java 13, and when I try to launch VASSAL the icon blinks a few times on the dock and then goes away.

I can’t even get VASSAL to run on macOS Catalina.

I am brand new to macOS and only have Windows and Linux experience so any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Is VASSAL even supported on Catalina?

How do you get it to work?

Thanks.

Thus spake DonLazov:

I just purchased an iMac and it arrived last Friday, I updated to
Catalina on Monday and today just got around to installing VASSAL.

I am running java 13, and when I try to launch VASSAL the icon blinks a
few times on the dock and then goes away.

I can’t even get VASSAL to run on macOS Catalina.

I am brand new to macOS and only have Windows and Linux experience so
any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Is VASSAL even supported on Catalina?

How do you get it to work?

Try the 3.3.0 test build I posted about a few minutes ago:

Test builds for 3.3.0

3.2 isn’t compatible with anything later than Java 8.

J.

About my question any solution for somebody who understand the strict minimum in computers?

GGdeTOURS - I saw the same problem as you if I launched Vassal directly from the DMG. None of the modules were retained in the list. After moving it to /Applications, it remembers my opened modules correctly. How are you running it?

Hello Malnorma! TY for your answer. Interesting.

My Vassal is actually located in the Applications but what do you mean by “running” it?
But I also have a shortcut on the office and start it with it! Do you mean I should only start Vassal from the Application?

Are you sure that it’s only a shortcut and not a copy of the app in another location? I tried a shortcut and that worked ok, but when I copied Vassal.app to the desktop and ran it, it cleared my recent modules again. A shortcut will show a black arrow in the bottom left corner.

By running it, I just mean launching it - e.g. to understand if you were starting it by clicking the icon in the DMG, in your dock, via spotlight or another launcher, that kind of thing.

Hey Malnorma!

To be said: I used exactly this Vassal and shortcut for years before I went recently on Catalina and my problems started with Catalina so I think the Vassal itself is OK.

Here is the place were is located my Vassal shortcut. There is the little arrow so it’s a shortcut. I tried your point but it seems that the problem comes from TIME! The modules disappear when it takes time between I stop my computer and restart it !?!

Completely strange? Why Vassal don’t keep the module in?

GG

I did not believe it, but you are right - after a reboot, my module list is empty again. I am not sure what would cause Vassal to overwrite the recent modules like this, but I will take a closer look soon.

I think this is part of Catalina’s general paranoia about unsigned/un-notarised/downloaded applications, possibly worse for being Java-based. On first run, Vassal attempts to open the modules in the recent list to verify they exist, and this action seems to be quietly (i.e. no user prompt) blocked by the system. Once you’ve added a module through the file dialog, everything is fine until the next reboot.

In any case, I found a few ways around it. The easiest one is just to remove the quarantine attribute from the application with this command (paste this into Terminal.app):

xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine /Applications/VASSAL.app

If this fails due to permissions, run it as

sudo xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine /Applications/VASSAL.app

and provide your password when prompted. You are effectively convincing the OS that the app was not downloaded from the internet, and can be allowed to access files in your home directory. You will need to do this for any new build you download and copy into /Applications.

WOW … TY but sorry I never did things like that! Is that the heart of the computer?
My computer is first at all my working tool and I want to take no risk at all with it.

:unamused:

You can run this command: man xattr to view documentation for the xattr command (or read the same information here: ss64.com/osx/xattr.html )

When you download a file with your browser, it writes additional attributes to the file to mark it as coming from an untrusted source. Running xattr with just a filename will print any attributes out:

$ xattr ~/Downloads/VASSAL-3.3.0-svn9280-macosx.dmg com.apple.diskimages.recentcksum com.apple.macl com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms com.apple.quarantine

The quarantine attribute at the end is the only attribute that persists when Vassal.app is copied from the disk image. Deleting the attribute makes the system behave as if the file was obtained “safely”, so it does not prevent it from running or accessing your personal files. You can search for “com.apple.quarantine” to find a bit more information on it.

It’s good to be cautious, as you would be bypassing some of the safeguards meant to protect users from malicious apps (bypassing for Vassal only, not for the whole system!) Hopefully this info can help you make a decision you are comfortable with.

TYVM but I’m completely lost! Where am I suppose to read or find or write those lines?
Really sorry but I know nothing about the creation of computer programs.
Regards - GG

Oh, sorry - start by running Terminal.app. You can do this with spotlight:

1. Press cmd+space on the keyboard
  2. type ‘terminal’ into the search box - by the time you type ‘m’ you will likely see Terminal.app as the first result or somewhere near the top.
  3. double click the app, or press enter to launch it if it’s already the top result.

You should get a window on the screen, probably white with a small amount of black text on it. This is where you can enter the xattr command.

The easiest way to run an application blocked by OS X is still to go to System Preferences… Security and you should see a message saying that VASSAL was blocked. Click the Run Anyway or whatever the button is called (not at a Mac at the moment) and OS X will do all the work for you.

Thus spake zgrose via messages:

The easiest way to run an application blocked by OS X is still to go to
System Preferences… Security and you should see a message saying that
VASSAL was blocked. Click the Run Anyway or whatever the button is
called (not at a Mac at the moment) and OS X will do all the work for
you.

What do we need to do so that this isn’t necessary?

J.

This is no different to simply using the right-click > open command. It allows the app to run, but does not remove the quarantine attribute, and will still run afoul of this issue on Catalina.

The app needs to be signed and notarised using an Apple developer account. I don’t remember if this requires the $99 fee.

Arg: Can’t find the “Terminal.app” in spotlight?

That’s odd! It should be under /Applications/Utilities if you want to find it manually.

Is that here?