C&C Napoleonics card ownership issue

There is an issue in the current C&C Napoleonics module where Command cards don’t seem to get owned properly, and as a consequence create a duplicate. I have a logfile demonstrating the issue.

Examining the Properties of the cards shows no differences I can see, and the Card Prototype is the same for all Command Cards. So I’ve exhausted by ideas on where the problem lies.

Any ideas on how this occurs would be welcome.

At first, my experience led me to suspect that this bug triggered when players drew cards simultaneously. However, in a recent game it occurred when cards were definitely drawn by one player at a time. It happened at the start of the game; I had drawn and had my hand window still open whilst the other player drew his hand. On clicking on my hand window, a card (the same one) disappeared from both our hands. The hand count I then noticed was completely corrupt (e.g. 2 cards for one player, when in fact he had more). Much of this was probably coincidence but I will now try to ensure that players close their hand window whilst the other draws - easier said than done during a game - and check hands after each draw.

I have only ever noticed this happen with command cards but it happens with both types of deck.

I do not recall experiencing the issue over many, many PBEM games.

I’m unclear on a few details–was this live play, or asynchronous?

If it was live play, can you verify that you and the opposing player in fact were using exactly identical versions of the module and that you both have different personal module passwords?

it has only happened in live play for me, but PBeM games are rare, so it might just not have been noted.

players are using the same version, 3.41 Module. Players have different ID, and unless all the players are using the same password (meaning 20 odd different people), then they have different passwords. It isn’t just 2 particular players, it is a general experience.

I have a couple of log files showing instances of the error.

current suggestion is to choose sides BEFORE choosing Command Deck. This may solve the problem.

I have renewed interest in this bug as it is still occurring under Vassal 3.4.5. I think it is a Vassal bug, so I have logged it on the tracker and started a new thread on the Vassal engine forum… https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/old-bug-deck-hand-card-ownership-out-of-synch/11220/1

Mark