Create account / Log in

Playing by email help?

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Playing by email help?

Postby Seamus777 » January 8th, 2020, 10:42 pm

I'm looking to setting up a game for PBEM, specifically the Flying Colors module. Is there a way to do this...any help in the forum for this? Do both players just set up offline games, or is there a way to have a consolidated board on the Vassal server?

Thanks much!
Seamus777

Re: Playing by email help?

Postby JoelCFC25 » January 9th, 2020, 1:16 am

VASSAL comes with a User's Guide. Look for it in the Help menu after launching the application--it has a section on PBEM play.

Generally, you'd open a module, choose a scenario, select your player side, and then start recording a logfile for your moves. This is sent to the opponent, who opens the logfile, plays it back to review what happened, then records his own logfile. Players merely exchange logfiles back and forth. Unlike Cyberboard, there is no need to keep a saved game file in addition to logs.
JoelCFC25

Postby Seamus777 » January 9th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Thanks much Joel, I appreciate the help.
Seamus777

Postby zelzelus » February 7th, 2020, 6:47 am

I did the above for HitlersReich Vassal game but my opponnent didnt get a choice of sides and saw my cards... is there something i am doing wrong?? I opened a game, recorded a logfile and emailed. He double clicked on the logfile but then saw my cards??
zelzelus

Return to General Discussion