Test builds for 3.3.0

This ought to be good…Screen shot please!
On Friday, April 10, 2020, 10:35:04 AM CDT, uckelman uckelman@nomic.net wrote:

I might have found a solution to the problem of dragging between screens
with different pixel scaling. (It occurred to me that there may also be
a similar problem on systems where you can change the pixel scaling on
the fly, which I guess is possible on Windows, and what I’m working on
would solve that problem as well.)

What’s with the giant grey burritos east of Pegasus Bridge?

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/test-builds-for-3-3-0/10056/153

Rolls of barbed wire!

The giant grey burritos are rolls of barbed wire. The boardgame comes with pieces like this in green and blue to represent wire positions for each side. In the Memoir '44 Online game they are these grey ones.

Ha! This made me laugh. I needed a laugh.

I’ve uploaded a test build 3.3.0-svn9345-dynamic_scale: vassalengine.org/~uckelman/tmp/

This might solve the problem of dragging windows between screens with different scale factors, and also might give a correct result if you can change the scale factor on a screen while VASSAL is running.

3.3.0-svn9345 solves the scale factor problem, I can drag the window back and forth and it adjusts correctly. Selection on the map is also correct.

On the non-Retina display the drag rectangle is correct. On the Retina (scaled) display the drag rectangle is still drawn wrong.

Thus spake bdgza:

3.3.0-svn9345 solves the scale factor problem, I can drag the window
back and forth and it adjusts correctly. Selection on the map is also
correct.

Great. Thanks for testing.

The difference between this and the previous build is that the system
scale factor is fetched for each reapaint, so if it changes the next
repaint will pick that up.

On the non-Retina display the drag rectangle is correct. On the Retina
(scaled) display the drag rectangle is still drawn wrong.

I’ll look at this next.

J.

I think you opened a short scenario (like First Volley). These buttons only work with the Campaign scenario. Use the file I attach here to reproduce, it is a vlog of a campaing game. I managed to see the issue with that one.

Also, I have more information on the issue. It does not occur for all kinds of Area of Effects. I initially said it might be to a 0 radius, but looking again I found the same issue in The Longest Day (unpublished module) for a radius of 5. But what was common in both cases and not present in another area of effect in Vietnam is that the ones that cause the issue have the “Use Map Shading?” checkbox set. So the issue might be in how these “Map Shadings” handle the drawing of the shade vs how the Area of Effect without Map Shading do.

Kr
Claudio

Does 3.3.0-svn9346 fix the last moved highlighter for you?

This helped me find the problem, which was in MapShader.

Try 3.3.0-svn9347.

I’ve re-uploaded 3.3.0-svn9347. If you’re trying it after I posted this message, then it should also contain a fix for the selection rectangle.

Hello
The Area of Effect / Map Shading bug does not appear anymore in Vietnam. Thank you.
Kr
Claudio

I’ve now gone over RegionGrid and Region for HiDPI support. They didn’t require any changes.

3.3.0-svn9352 adjusts the editor for SetupStack for HiDPI support.

Looks fixed in 3.3.0-svn9352.

So… remaining problems. I see two issues reported by marktb1961 which are still outstanding:

https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/test-builds-for-3-3-0/10056/100 – moving a deck in C&C Napoleonics

https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/test-builds-for-3-3-0/10056/102 – resizing a window during a replay

Are these still reproducible with 3.3.00svn9352? I haven’t been able to reproduce either of these myself (though I do see the problem for the first one happen when I replay the log).

I just tried this in 3.3.0-svn9352 and it still happens. I can see it happen in scenario B003 - Vimiero.vsav. You’d think it was a faulty scenario, but it works fine in 3.2.17.

A nuisance that has existed on the Mac client for a while, also in 3.2.17 as well as 3.3.0-svn9352, is that most of the time when you load a scenario the panels at the top are at 100$ of the window size, and the map board is not shown. There is no divider/splitter bar handle to show the map either. You need to open/close a panel using a toolbar button to show the divider/splitter handle, and then you can drag up to show the map board. Would be nice if you could fix that.

Thus spake bdgza:

viewtopic.php?p=58916#p58916[1] – moving a deck in C&C Napoleonics

I just tried this in 3.3.0-svn9352 and it still happens. I can see it
happen in scenario B003 - Vimiero.vsav. You’d think it was a faulty
scenario, but it works fine in 3.2.17.

In around 40 tries, I have yet to see it occur. (I’m using Linux.) Is this
something which happens on Macs only?

I’ve uploaded 3.3.0-svn9294, which is a build from just before I started
the HiDPI changes. Can you reproduce the problem with that? (NB: That
build may claim it is svn9352, but just ignore that.)

J.

Thus spake bdgza:

A nuisance that has existed on the Mac client for a while, also in
3.2.17 as well as 3.3.0-svn9352, is that most of the time when you load
a scenario the panels at the top are at 100$ of the window size, and the
map board is not shown. There is no divider bar handle to show the map
either. You need to open/close a panel using a toolbar button to show
the divider handle, and then you can drag up to show the map board.
Would be nice if you could fix that.

It would be nice if I could fix that. It seems like it should be easy!
I’ve said that very thing each time I’ve tried since 2006, which totals
to seven or eight attempts. The number of times I’ve explained to
confused users that they need to drag the divider up to see the map
likely runs into the thousands by now.

I may take another crack at it, but don’t hold your breath.

J.