Test builds for 3.3.0

C&C Nap - lost card deck :- I couldn’t reproduce this one

C&C Medieval - unhanding exception crash - this problem does reproduce

Note - the test build reported itself as VASSAL version 3.3.0-svn9354 (error log reports this as well and Java 13.0.1).

Thus spake marktb1961:

This build is svn9294 with svn9249 removed. That’s the only commit
between 3.2.17 and svn9294 which isn’t a change for Java 9
compatibility or updating our dependencies.

C&C Nap - lost card deck :- I couldn’t reproduce this one

Ok, so it seems that this commit is the offending one for the lost
deck:

github.com/uckelman/vassal/comm … 66ee3a30a8

I don’t have a guess yet as to (a) why this commit would be the cause
(though it does affect Decks) and (b) why this commit would not affect
Linux, as there’s seemingly no platform-specific code in it.

Can anyone reprodce the C&C Napoleonics deck problem on anything other
than a Mac?

The bug report which led to the commit is here:

vassalengine.org/tracker/sho … i?id=12538

Note - the test build reported itself as VASSAL version 3.3.0-svn9354
(error log reports this as well and Java 13.0.1).

That’s expected, due to the way the build system inserts the version
number.

J.

Try to reproduce the C&C Medieval crash with this build:

vassalengine.org/~uckelman/t … macosx.dmg

Can you?

Huh, I got something weird to happen just now with the C&C Napoleonics Vimiero scenario which sounds like the reverse of what was reported: If I open the scenario, close it, reopen it, choose a command deck, and then undo that, the deck doesn’t disappear, but the button comes back! That’s goofy.

I suspect that this is the same problem you guys are seeing but manifesting itself a bit differently for me. I can reproduce this, at least, so I’m going to see about fixing it next.

No, I could not reproduce the crash.

One other thing though, I often don’t seem to be able to quit this module cleanly. I have to Force Quit. This applied to previous 3.3.0 builds, too. It’s something I have noticed in general (across other modules) under v3.2.17 but it seems to happen much more with 3.3.0 and the C&C Medieval module in particular.

Hello!

I’m late to this thread but definitely interested in trying my modules out on 3.3.0 and reporting any errors.

One question – are there any special techniques for dealing with “multiple versions of Java at once” (I’m on Windows 10). Because I want to make sure don’t Scrootch Up my ability to run “regular Vassal” (3.2.17) and my Eclipse/java stuff associated with that.

Brian

Thus spake Cattlesquat:

Hello!

I’m late to this thread but definitely interested in trying my modules
out on 3.3.0 and reporting any errors.

Please do. I’d like to kill as many bugs as we can before releasing a
beta.

One question – are there any special techniques for dealing with
“multiple versions of Java at once” (I’m on Windows 10). Because I want
to make sure don’t Scrootch Up my ability to run “regular Vassal”
(3.2.17) and my Eclipse/java stuff associated with that.

The Windows test builds have their own Java bundled with them. It won’t
interact at all with your existing setup.

J.

Are you able to reproduce the C&C Medieval crash with this build?

vassalengine.org/~uckelman/t … macosx.dmg

Do you get some sort of error notice instead?

(The MP3 that’s in the C&C Medieval module appears to be about 0.6 seconds of silence, which (a) I can’t the the purpose of, and (b) is maybe not even entirely well-formed.)

Oh! Well that’s easy then!

I am happy to report that both Paths of Glory 9.6 and For The People 3.0 both SEEM to be working fine, after some time putting each of them “through their paces” for a bit. Shockingly, even the “custom java classes” don’t seem to be throwing it (PoG9.6 has a couple tiny aesthetic things; but FTP3.0 has a significant one). That was a preliminary test and I will “stay at it” and see what I find.

I do see a bug reproducing itself, though I think it was already in 3.2.17. Basically a particular situation where moving a counter and then pressing “Undo” does not actually undo the move properly (to be clear, even with no custom classes anywhere in the module). I have a “minimum viable module” for that (UndoBug.vmod now in the upload moderation queue) if you’re interested, but completely understand if you’re only focusing on java-version-upgrade things. The situation the minimum-viable-module shows could of course be “worked around” by turning on “Snap To” for regions, but it’s merely a simple demonstration of an issue that creates other problems that can’t be worked around that way.

Meanwhile, will put some more time into pounding on my two modules with 3.3.0 and see if I can find anything else.

Brian

crashtest2 build encounters the crash error; no error notice other than the crash itself.

Re that MP3; there is something about the Medieval (and Ancients) module regarding sound. For some reason, the modules allow “unit marching” sounds to be turned off with an on screen button but the other type of sound(s) - dice rolling & card drawing - can only be turned off by substituting a silent sound. So I think there is more than one MP3 embedded in the module. The developer suggested substituting silent MP3s as the way to disable all sounds but I never got round to doing that on my Mac. If there is a silent sound, I am not sure where it is used, perhaps it is just there as a convenience that can be swapped in for other sound files to disable them but not used in the standard configuration, or perhaps it gets triggered when the “unit sound off” button is pressed.

Mark

I suspect that this will be a “well-known” bug but anyway, I add that failed “undo” of moves is a common problem, so much so that the C&C online tournament gamers that I know are very wary of using undo (because it corrupts the log file). Another, perhaps related, symptom is when units lose their ability to leave a movement trail (I’ve seen this in C&C modules and 2nd Fleet).

I also acknowledge this is seen in v3.2.17 and might be out of scope of v.3.3.0 work.

Incidentally, a detail is that if you add “Does Not Stack” (aka Immobilized) to the piece, the bug does NOT reproduce. I’m pretty sure somewhere in the logic for adding/removing “stacks” to the board, a detail of the movement is either not getting recorded, or (actually equally likely I suspect) being refused when processed.

Thus spake marktb1961:

Re that MP3; there is something about the Medieval (and Ancients) module
regarding sound. For some reason, the modules allow “unit marching”
sounds to be turned off with an on screen button but the other type of
sound(s) - dice rolling & card drawing - can only be turned off by
substituting a silent sound. So I think there is more than one MP3
embedded in the module. The developer suggested substituting silent
MP3s as the way to disable all sounds but I never got round to doing
that on my Mac. If there is a silent sound, I am not sure where it is
used, perhaps it is just there as a convenience that can be swapped in
for other sound files to disable them but not used in the standard
configuration, or perhaps it gets triggered when the “unit sound off”
button is pressed.

The ability to play sounds should not have been added (way back in 2.8)
without a switch for turning sounds off in the Preferences. I’m not
inclined to accept patches for new features, but if someone were to submit
a patch for that, I’d consider it.

I checked the contents of the CCMedievalV1_4.vmod and found only one MP3
there, silence.mp3.

Try 3.3.0-svn9355. I fixed a threading problem with the stream from which
MP3s are read. I suspect this will solve the problem.

J.

Yes, seems to have worked. I am using C&CM for PBEM once or twice a day at the moment, so I can continue to monitor but vlogs that were reproducing the crash are no longer doing so, so it looks fixed.

Also, the C&CM module quit cleanly in all three tests that I did.

Thus spake marktb1961:

“uckelman” wrote:

Try 3.3.0-svn9355. I fixed a threading problem with the stream from
which
MP3s are read. I suspect this will solve the problem.

Yes, seems to have worked. I am using C&CM for PBEM once or twice a day
at the moment, so I can continue to monitor but vlogs that were
reproducing the crash are no longer doing so, so it looks fixed.

Also, the C&CM module quit cleanly in all three tests that I did.

Great. On to the remaining issue with C&CN.

J.

Hello Joel,
The “Mouse over Stack Viewer” property is failing again when DPI scaling is <> 100%, in another module. I am using 9355 to test this.
The module is The Greatest Day Sword/Juno and Gold beaches module v 1.8.9 (vassalengine.org/mediawiki/i … _v189.vmod)

Not sure what is different here that makes it fail whereas it works well in Tunisia II
Main differences I see in the Mouse Over Stack Viewer are: that in GTS the pieces are drawn at 1.0 scale factor, Tunisia uses 0.9

Will try playing with that parameter and let you know. Bye Claudio

Regarding the “Mouse Over Stack Viewer” I copied all settings from TuII onto the GTS game, but the issue persists.
The “Mouse Over Stack Viewer” trait probably depends on other properties of the game itself.
Kr
Claudio

Hi Claudio,

The problem is that my GTS modules make extensive use of custom Java code modules, including a custom mouse-over stack viewer. I had been putting off applying the HiDpi fixes as I am unable to reproduce the issues on a Windows system without a HiDpi screen. [If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.

If you are willing to be my Test Pilot, I will start work on the update. As well as the mouse over stack viewer, I expect there will be problems with the Attack Wizard LOS thread, Info display and the Out-of-command display.

Regards,
Brent.

Aha,
Problems didn’t appear (except for blurry counter images) until I ran 3.3.0. Now I have the images appearing out of position issues. I have some thing to work with now, but will need assistance with testing on real HiDPI displays.
Brent.

Brent
Ok, sign me up as your Test Pilot. I will also install the vassal project on Eclipse shortly.
you can contact me directly at claudio.ciardelli@gmail.com
Bye