Create account / Log in

Module for War in the Pacific (2d ed.)?

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Module for War in the Pacific (2d ed.)?

Postby Grotius » September 1st, 2008, 6:28 pm

I have the new edition of "War in the Pacific" by Decision Games. It's so huge that I don't have space to play it! But I'd love to try a VASSAL mod of it, even if just solitaire.

As I recall, though, there may be a copyright obstacle to creating a Vassal mod for WITP. There was one for the first edition but it was pulled, no? Does anyone know if these copyright obstacles extend to the new WITP? I assume so. It's not like I have the time to create such a mod anyway, but I'm curious whether it's ever possible that anyone will.
Grotius

Postby Shad » September 4th, 2008, 5:35 am

Decision Games is not "VASSAL-friendly."

Anyone can produce a VASSAL module of their products, but you're not allowed to make them publically available.

The odds of someone making a module for WitP solely for personal use are... astronomical?
Shad

Postby Grotius » September 7th, 2008, 4:36 am

Ah, OK. Thanks. Yeah, I'm not going to make a "personal" module of WITP. Thanks again.
Grotius

Postby prodgers » December 15th, 2008, 4:30 am

Actually I DID make one for personal use. It was from the older circa 1970-80 version cause thats how old I am. I was too big to post here anyway. You might check with Bill Thompson at the wargame academy webpage :wink:
prodgers

Postby CarlZog » February 19th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Shad wrote:Decision Games is not "VASSAL-friendly."

You know, I just don't understand this position. Do they really imagine that they're somehow selling more games this way?
CarlZog

vassal for 2nd ed WitP

Postby kankoviak » March 14th, 2009, 5:58 am

There is a group of us, 4, who are working on the project now. If you want to help, come over to the consimworld folder for WitP. Or email me a kankoviak at comcast dot net.
kankoviak

Return to General Discussion