Warhammer Fantasy Battles

mehrunes is one of the germandevelopers there and I asked there about supporting them…
It got a little bit quiet but it’s still alive…

I’ll try to setup a battlefield with a troops setup window and the grouping unit code the next weeks using the images found on gw-fanworld.net

But that’s work on the Vassal code, no module design ?

To play Warhammer Fantasy, one would need your special Vassal version.
I don’t know if it is worth the work as long the developers don’t add your work to the official version.

that’s not quite correct. you just need the module. the module file can also contain compiled classes. The person creating the module should create it with a java version low enough for all players able to play (guess 1.4 would be a good version). I used java 1.5 or 1.6 I think, not sure as I’m on a different machine now…

Thus spake “ghoust”:

VASSAL 3.0+ requires Java 1.5, so there’s no point in restricting yourself
to Java 1.4.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

The custom classes are now finished so the fun part of vassal customization can begin.
The draft of a module and the source of the custom classes are here:
http://www.fightingchaos.com/vassal/battle/index.html
The german development team can be found here:
http://www.gw-fanworld.net/forumdisplay.php?f=299

Start modding!

By the way this code/mod needs vassal 3.1 beta1 at least. It’s not a big problem to me as the mod will be far from complete by the time 3.1 will be released…

I think the v40k team is also interested in making a WHFB module. There’s a subforum for WHFB. vassal40k.com/

And I have some suggestions for the sprite artists:

Draw the models without a base and use transparency, then you can use different bases as layers under the models.

The sprites look very small now, maybe they should be resized, so you can see more details. You can still zoom out, if the models are too big.

I actually found the size of the first sprites that Mehrunes posted ok. I just reworked one of his sprites for demonstration purposes.

I was once in the v40k team but help for the fantasy mod was very low or even nearly non-existent.
Sprites are in the scale 5mm = 6 pixels. How did you reworked the sprite?
Feel free to do that to all the others.

One thing I can not agree with is following: When vassal wasn’t suited for group moves and making regiments from single sprites was hard work, nearly nobody wanted to help me. Now, when it is easier, people come and want to make the module to fit their personal taste.

I’m kind of disappointed about that because it was me who started the sisyphus work.

I just erased the background and painted over the sprite. If you save the picture in gif or png format you can keep the transparency. You could now make bases with different colors and add a layer for them under the actual game piece. Then you can change the color of the base just by using a shortcut.

And I’m not interested in working on the WHFB module, I don’t even play Warhammer, only Bloodbowl and Battlefleet Gothic (and VOTR for a short time). Just wanted to give you a tip. ;)

Yeah, regarding the bases, this is clear. But what you simply describe as “painting over” looks rather good.
We still have to decide if we redo the sprites size.

Of course I already have some experience in painting, but I’m still a newb. ;)
Your images were actually pretty good already, you just need to work more on the details, light, color and shape.

A good program like Photoshop helps. The GIMP is also pretty good and it’s free.

I’m using Photoshop already but I never drawed sprites before. They are my first. And to be fair, on 96x96 there is much more possible than on 24x24 pixels. :slight_smile:

As there seem to be several groups working on their ‘own’ module for warhammer I urge you all to coop with each other and work on ONE module, otherwise it’s a waste of resources…

My opinion, too.

People who got sick of waiting had the opportunity to help all the time.
But I was more or less the only one who worked on that and help on the module itself was nearly non-existing (all worked on 40k).

Now, where it is far more easier to do this module, people are coming and complaining about the first module not being finished. That’s very disappointing, I have to admit.

The current group is located at gw-fanworld.de/forumdisplay.php?f=299.
Everyone is invited to help. We are waiting for the code to be packaged and want to start with recreating the contents of Battle of Skull Pass first.

As always, we are needing people who are good at making sprites.

From a user:

I recognized the source never worked in online mode. I updated the files. Here’s the link. fightingchaos.com/vassal/bat … bin_06.zip

The grouping, ungrouping and rotation were not synchronized in the 05 version.

If time permits (in half a year or so, don’t expect anything) I’ll have a look at the zoom and cloning issue, could not reproduce the save file issue, the name of the edit command is editable (didn’t check if just editing the name would fix it though).

I’ll try to keep it updates and will work on fixes on irregular base, so don’t expect anything besides bugfixes atm.

Could you provide a tutorial how to get this in a vassal module actually?

I don’t know how to use that in own modules.

Have a look at this one: Armies of Arcana, it’s at vassalengine.org/community/i … page=Files

or at the module provided in the download, the documentation comming with it and the documentation on how to add custom code into a module.

Well, it works in the module but I don’t know why. There is only a global key command, but I cannot find where CTRL G is defined.

That is where I’m stuck. The vassal documentation is disastrous. I learned everything by trying…
Because of that I asked for a tutorial or how-to.
You seem to know so why not share it?

man,…
have a lok at the reference manual in the zip, have alok here: vassalengine.org/wiki/doku.p … rogramming
and here in general:
vassalengine.org/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorials

If the documentation would be as bad as you state I must be a genius to code that functionality based on the disastrous documentation :slight_smile:

c’mon, nothing is for free ;-)

Try to open the properties of the global key command (on the battlefield map, not he setup map…) there you’ll find your CTRL-G…

this project seems to be discontinued as anyone can see on the dates of the last posting anybody who’d like to step up and continue is welcome, the files are avaiable, including sources for vassal. good luck