HOW DOES E-MAIL PLAY WORK?

OK, I’m afraid I’m still lost because when I go to do the British move, I don’t see any of the American markers on the board. Here is what I’m doing.

1.) Start the game as American

2.) I password the American turn

3.) I start the log file

4.) I place the markers

5.) I end the log file

6.) Save the turn

7.) Start A NEW GAME as BRITISH

8.) Password the game

9.) load the file that I named in step 6

10.) I can move counters and such as British but I don’t see any of the American markers placed. Why?

Isn’t it easier to run two instances of Vassal? :open_mouth:

I am glad you asked this because I would have never guessed that is how you change sides even between different playings of the same game (I am only just now delving into my first CDG game ever in 35-40 years of wargaming).

Maybe obvious - but… are you stepping through the logfile when you open it to see the moves recorded by the other side?

xlegion,

I don’t see the Washington’s War module listed on the Vassal module page. Did you design this module yourself? If you did, did you assign masked traits to any of the counters? If units are masked (hidden) by one player then the opposing player, when using a different password, won’t be able to see those counters.

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

Username and password hash. What we’re missing right now is the username
part.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thus spake Joel Uckelman:

It would also help if we had a login diaog where we asked users for
an identity-password combo when loading a game. My understanding is that
a large part of the problem right now is caused by users not knowing under
what password they’re presently logged in, so making that explicit for
them would help.

(Note that I’m not saying that users should always be prompted for their
password, as we’re not trying to secure the account against others,
just that the user be presented with something like a list of available
identities at start.)

J.

Messages mailing list

You only have to do change your password if you want to play both sides of the SAME game. Normally, you never have to worry about this.

B.

Messages mailing list

You still have to change your password in one of the instances if you want to play BOTH sides of the SAME game.

B.

Messages mailing list

at 5:17 AM xlegion wrote:

WHOA! Who said to start a NEW GAME and set the password. The instructions say that at this point you

1. Change your password
8) Load the saved game from Step 6

Because you started a new game in step 7 instead of changing your password and loading the old saved game.

Look, you are trying to simulate the situation where you are trying to play a game on two different computers by two different players who have different password’s set. Starting a new game between turns does not make sense!

B.

Messages mailing list

Brigz:

I got the Washington’s War module from the Consimworld site. They have a folder for this game which is not even out yet. It will be a replacement for the game “We the People” and the designer Mark Herman is on the site asking for play test feedback.

I would love to accommodate him but I’m having a devil of a time learning VASSAL.

Thanks xlegion. I was going to look at the module to see how it was structured.

Try and follow Brent’s instructions. He should get you there. Just be patient and you’ll get it. I’ll hold off adding any suggestions because it could just confuse you with more than one person walking you through it.

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I’m a Babylon 5 wars player. In the past players have used cyberboard to conduce PBEM games. However I’m looking at it and don’t feel it’s the best choice, especially since the person I want to play against is on a Mac.

My issue is that most games will be strictly PBEM, and not live. That said, recording a log that shows a player’s every move, etc. might be overkill. I know this is not using the engine to it’s full potential, but is there any way to simply email the end result of your turn without showing “live” moves, and current chats etc?

Also, is there any way to “edit” your turn for the logs? say I move a piece and then undo it, can I remove that from the “playback”?

I also have a customization question. I’ll post in a different thread though, cause it’s totally unrelated.

Thanks in advance.

You can definitely simply save a game and mail the saved game to your opponent.

When you hit “undo” VASSAL actually removes the move from the log. Otherwise there’s no direct way to edit a logfile. However, if you’re writing a logfile and reading one at the same time, the moves from the logfile being read get written to your logfile, so you can effectively insert moves into a logfile that way.

rk

EDIT: found the shortcut for ‘play next move’ in the wiki.

The “Page Down” key is a shortcut for the “Next” button in the toolbar.

rk

Thanks rk.

Laptop users may find this shortcut doesn’t work, due to the different keyboard config (no proper num keypad - even the function-shifted one lacks page up / down keys on some laptops). It would be great if this shortcut could be user-modified, or assigned to a standard alpha key (perhaps Ctrl-N, or Ctrl-=) so it works on all computers.

I can handle the single log send to my opponent however how do I send my log when I am playing allies and soviets vs germans in Totaler Kreig? I feel it would be easier if game set-up allowed one log option. Is this what the load continuation button is for?

Thus spake “JUNO44”:

Are you saying that you’re playing as two different players yourself? You
should be able to retire from one side and join another without ending the
log you’re writing.

“Load Continuation” is for appending another log to the log you already have
open. I don’t recommend using that feature unless you’re certain you know
what you’re doing.

The whole logging system is going to be revamped for 3.2, so at that point
exchanging logs will become simpler.

J.

Messages mailing list

I am playing TK vs one other player. They are axis so I would like the procedure neccessary to play the Allies and Soviets sending one log file to axis player . I know it can be done as an opponent did so last time we played.'I know, I have sent same question to him but has not answered yet.

Thus spake “JUNO44”:

I’ve had a chance to look at the TK module now. The way to play both the
Allied and Soviet turns in the same log file is to start your log file as
one of them, do your moves, hit the “Retire” button to switch to the other
one, do your moves, and then end the log file.

J.

Messages mailing list