Removing Images from Drop Down Menus?

Can I edit an existing module so that when I place a piece on the board it no longer shows in the drop down menu? This is just a personal preference so it’s not a big deal. Thanks in advance

Thus spake “generalsirarthurcurrie”:

Is this what you’re asking for?

sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func= … tid=594234

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Exactly. Many Thanks.

I looked at trying to implement that, but just couldn’t get it to work. The only solution I arrived at was to implement a second map with decks that represent your force pools.

I have to try to look at that again…

• M.

2008/12/7 generalsirarthurcurrie <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

It is not a simple issue. Palettes are currently an unlimited source of pieces. When and how do you count a piece as being drawn? How do you set up multiple scenarios, each with a limit? How do you display how many pieces are left to be drawn? How do you set/update the ‘Piece count’ when editing.

Here’s some ideas:

I would approach it by making the piece limit part of the PieceSlot. The limit would have to be an option displayed in the PieceDefiner.

Perhaps have a new type of ‘Single Piece’ to add - a ‘Counted Piece’ or ‘Limited Piece’, that uses a subclass of PieceDefiner that includes the count?

The countdown should be initialized whenever a new game is started. This would allow you to use the same palette for different scenarios. Each piece drawn will then count down. Get to 0 and the PieceSlot is disabled and cannot be drawn from anymore.

B.

Messages mailing list

Thanks again for the input. As it is just a personal preference starting over with a new map and then using decks doesn’t seem worth the trouble. I’m playing DAK2 and the number of upgrades some units undergo makes mistakes a bit more likely. But basically, I just like looking at a menu of say “Italian Divisions” and seeing at a glance what’s left to come.

Personally, I never used either Decks or Start-up stacks for Unit pools. I find them too cumbersome. I just use a Map with a suitable background showing the pieces images and then just stack up the pieces available as normal stacks. Save this as a setup and your Force pool is ready to go, the stacks clearly showing what units are available.

B.

Messages mailing list

Thanks Brent. That is a simple and elegant solution. With DAK2 I can put the Australian divisions at the bottom of the Med until they are ready to heroically defend Tobruk. They might be a bit soggy but those were tough guys.

Perfect solution for my purposes.