Pasword protection

Hey again,

I’ve had reports of people messing with the die rollers on my module and was wondering if there was anyway to password protect the module or a way it could be implemented?

Cheers
Tim

I’m curious to know how you know they’ve been messing with them and how they were messed with.

The answer to your question is no, not really. If you really don’t trust your opponent, use and Internet dice server.

• M.

2008/12/20 Dezartfox <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Well, it’s never happened to me personally, someone just reported that people they play do it, I’m guessing they’re just adding one to each roll on a dice with 5 sides :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe he’s just a bad loser, ::slight_smile:

Cheers anyway :slight_smile:

Fair enough. It’s quite easy to do of course. One easy thing to do is to design your module so that it reports the number of dice and the modifier every time it’s rolled. After that, it gets a little harder to tamper with (but somewhat easily doable).

• M.

2008/12/20 Dezartfox <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Michael Kiefte, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
School of Human Communication Disorders
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
tel: +1 902 494 5150
fax: +1 902 494 5151

Yeah, still doesn’t stop people adding their own dice for certain rolls, anyone can if they know how to edit the module :confused:

There’s no way of controlling it really…

One of the reasons that extra properties were added to the die roller was so that the modifiers could be reported. It could say something like

2d6 (+2) rolled for a result of 9.

After that, the best way to cheat is to bypass the die roller with a trigger that calls a custom report action trait.

Or import a custom class. But the extra properties make it harder for the casual player to manipulate.

• M.

2008/12/21 Dezartfox <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

On Dec 21, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Michael Kiefte wrote:

Again, this may not be a foolproof method, but perhaps adding
something like module checksums that are compared by Vassal when
connecting? That would also help find any module version differences
that may not be reflected in the version numbers.

This is, of course, not foolproof, but it would at least add another
barrier. For on-line play it would work pretty well. For PBEM, of
course, it wouldn’t really, since one could just modify the Email to
include the correct checksum value…

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Which is why we recommend using external Die Rollers for any game of importance, or against players you have a trust issue with.

A new, secure, integrated, emailing external Die Roller is scheduled to be included in the next major release of Vassal.

B.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Dezartfox”:

Some of your problem will go away once we bring back the interface for
Internet dice-rollers. Expect that sometime in 2009.

J.

Messages mailing list