Create account / Log in

New to All of This

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

New to All of This

Postby gavinpreacher » July 29th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Good morning everyone

I have recently become interested in getting into War Games. I have never played one before, but they look like a lot of fun. I was directed here by a post on FB. I would love to get involved and get into some gaming, but have no idea how it all works.

1- how does it all work? I assume that I need to download the Vassal engine for starters.
2- What would be a good game for a beginner to start with?
3- whatever game I end up playing, I assume I need to own a physical copy of that game?

any help or suggestions and recommendations that can help me get started will be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day everyone!
gavinpreacher

Re: New to All of This

Postby DrNostromo » July 31st, 2018, 9:27 pm

1- how does it all work? I assume that I need to download the Vassal engine for starters.

Yep. Then you would go to the module section to download any modules you wish to play. If you have any troubles or need details, the Docs area has a manual or just asking here will usually get a response.

2- What would be a good game for a beginner to start with?

I don't play war games as much as I did back in the 70's and 80's but I cut my teeth on Panzer Leader and Panzerblitz. Many consider those two games as pretty much setting the standard for war games and still a favorite of mine if I do play a war game. Modules for both are here.

3- whatever game I end up playing, I assume I need to own a physical copy of that game?

Not particularly. Most games here are fully complete as they are distributed by permission of the authors or original creations. There are some games that have restrictions ...like, for example, cards may no have descriptions as the original authors what you to have the original game to use the Vassal module version. If a module does not include rules, you can almost always get a PDF copy from boardgamegeek.com.
DrNostromo

Return to General Discussion